HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Tower

Hob Uid: 67506
Location :
Liverpool
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SJ3399090410
Summary : Site of a medieval fortified house, used as a gaol until 1811 and demolished in 1819. A mill and later an office block were built on the site. "The Tower" was a remnant of a medieval house which served during the 18th century as the borough gaol. The earliest reference to the house is in 1406 when Sir John Stanley was granted a licence to crenellate. However, by the middle of the 18th century its remains were in use as the borough gaol. In 1737 the corporation took a 99 year lease on part of the house, and brought gates and grills from the earlier prison to make the house secure. On 25th October 1754 the corporation passed an order to repair the roof following a survey. In 1775 they purchased the freehold of the building. The prison was improved in 1782. "The Tower" remained in use until at least 1811. This was due to the new borough gaol having been appropriated in the 1790s to hold French prisoners of war. "The Tower" was demolished in 1819.
More information : Site of Tower (NR) (Name omitted from 25" plan due to ck of space. Note in ONB). (1)

Liverpool tower was a fortified house of the Stanleys. In 1406 a royal grant was made to Sir John Stanley to crenellate and embattle it. It is mentioned in 1715 and was used as a gaol until 1811. In 1819 the Tower was demolished and Castle Mills built on the site. (2)

The exact site of the Tower is now occupied by the Tower Buildings, Water Street. (3)

Tower Buildings, a large office block, is situated at SJ33999041. (4-5)

Listed by Cathcart King. (6)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Object Name Book reference
Source details : Lancashire 106 SW (Revised 1924) 249
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 63
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 19 - 1901
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Herdman. 1878. Ancient Liverpool, 7-8
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JHO 13-AUG-51
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Touzeau J. 1910. The Rize and Progress of Liverpool from 1551 to 1835, Liverpool, 448, 449, 497
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 249
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Licence granted 1406
Monument End Date : 1406
Monument Start Date : 1406
Monument Type : Fortified House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Alterations to make house secure 1737.
Monument End Date : 1737
Monument Start Date : 1737
Monument Type : Gaol
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Repairs to roof in 1754
Monument End Date : 1754
Monument Start Date : 1754
Monument Type : Gaol
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Cleaned and repaved by 1782
Monument End Date : 1782
Monument Start Date : 1782
Monument Type : Gaol
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished in 1819.
Monument End Date : 1819
Monument Start Date : 1819
Monument Type : Gaol
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : After 1819
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1819
Monument Type : Mill
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1906
Monument End Date : 1906
Monument Start Date : 1906
Monument Type : Office
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 93743
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SJ 39 SW 5
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SJ 39 SW 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1951-08-13
End Date : 1951-08-13
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: PRISONS PROJECT
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-01