HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 364470

Hob Uid: 364470
Location :
Cambridgeshire
Huntingdonshire
Chesterton
Grid Ref : TL1190097260
Summary : Two Roman milestones were found at Durobrivae. One is marked with an I which may indicate a distance of one or fifty miles. This milestone is in the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology at Cambridge. A second milestone dedicated to Victorinus AD 268-70 was also found and is now in Peterborough Museum.
More information : (TL 11909726) ROMAN MILESTONE (R) (Site of) (NAT) (1)

'A' - A Roman milestone (RIB 2235) 37 inches high and 10-16 inches
in diameter was dug out of the ditch west of the north gate of
Dvrobrivae (TL 19 NW62) in 1785 (Area TL 11919719. This disagrees
with siting on OS 6"). It is dedicated to the emperor Florian (276
AD) and records a distance of one mile from a place not named.
(See illustration). The distance has sometimes been read as 'L'
(fifty) miles, but the mark at the bottom of the 'I' is probably a
slip made by the stone cutter (4). Liversedge (Authority 5)
accepts the reading as fifty, and suggests that the distance is
to Lincoln. Most other writers accept the distance as one mile,
however, and Wright(2) suggests that this is to the settlement at
Castor on the north side of the river Nene (TL 19 NW 76). Sedgley
(6) disputes this and maintains that the distance must be measured
to the town of Dvrobrivae on the south side of the river. The
findspot is only 3/4 mile south-west of Castor, not one mile as
Wright suggests, and the milestone must in any case have been moved.

The stone is now in the possession of Trinity College, Cambridge,
but has been on permanent loan since 1970 to the Museum of
Archaeology and Ethnology, Cambridge.

'B'.- A second milestone (RIB 2238), 34 inches high, 18 inches
wide and 15 inches deep, was found about 1913 within the Roman
town, beside Ermine Street and about 50 yards from the north-west
angle (TL 11959715). It is dedicated Victorinus (AD 268-70 but no
distance is recorded. It was taken to Orton Longueville Hall, but
was removed to Peterborough Museum in 1948. (2-7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Roman inscriptions of Britain, 1. Inscriptions on stone : epigraphic indexes
Source details : Nos 2235 & 2238
Page(s) : 697-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1965
Source Number : 3
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in Huntingdonshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 52-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1926
Source Number : 4
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Huntingdon, volume one
Source details :
Page(s) : 234-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1926
Source Number : 5
Source : Britain in the Roman Empire
Source details :
Page(s) : 382
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1968
Source Number : 6
Source : British Archaeological Report (BAR) British series
Source details : ( J P Sedgley)
Page(s) : 25
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 18 - 1975
Source Number : 7
Source : Britannia : a journal of Romano-British and kindred studies
Source details : (Wright & Hassall)
Page(s) : 304
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Feb-71

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Roman
Monument End Date : 270
Monument Start Date : 268
Monument Type : Milestone
Evidence : Find

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 19 NW 70
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :