HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1061373

Hob Uid: 1061373
Location :
Greater London Authority
Hammersmith and Fulham
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ2420076200
Summary : Gardens to Fulham Palace first documented in the 16th century when Bishop Grindal established a botanic garden between 1559-70. Bishop Compton (Bishop between 1675-1713) was a horticulturalist and collector of rare plants; his collection included species from North America. It is thought that a formal garden layout recorded by Rocque in 1746 was the work of George London, who advised Bishop Compton, during the 1670s. These gardens were replaced by a less formal layout for Richard Javis in the 1760s. Further alterations took place between 1813-28 and 1828-56 and were undertaken by Bishops Howley and Blomfield. In 1973, Fulham Palace ceased to be the official residence for the Bishops of London, the gardens were opened as a public park.
More information : Fulham Palace Garden and Bishop's Park. Gardens and grounds of 16th century origins which at their most extensive covered an area of 15ha. The original site of the grounds is bounded to the northeast by Fulham Palace Road and Fulham High Street, to the east by All Saints Churchyard, to the southwest by the Thames embankment, northwest and north by Stevenage Road and Bishop's Park Road.

The earliest known garden feature was a walled kitchen garden which was constructed by Bishop Fitzjames during the early 16th century. The gardens during the later 16th century and later comprised collections of rare trees and shrubs. Much of the earlier layouts were destroyed when new layouts and a walled garden were created during the 1760s for Richard Jarrick. The area to the southwest of the palace was given as a public park during the 1870s and in 1924 and is now known as Bishop's Park. (1)

Gardens first documented in the 16th century when Bishop Grindal established a botanic garden between 1559-70. Bishop Compton (Bishop between 1675-1713) was a horticulturalist and collector of rare plants; his collection included species from North America. It is thought that a formal garden layout recorded by Rocque in 1746 was the work of George London, who advised Bishop Compton, during the 1670s. These gardens were replaced by a less formal layout for Richard Javis in the 1760s. Further alterations took place between 1813-28 and 1828-56 and were undertaken by Bishops Howley and Blomfield. In 1973, Fulham Palace ceased to be the official residence for the Bishops of London, the gardens were opened to the public as a public park. (Bishop's Park is now a separate Park and garden entry- TQ 27 NW 154). (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Greater London
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 17
Source Number : 2
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Greater London, revised 25-Nov-2003
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : PART 17

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Created 1559-70
Monument End Date : 1570
Monument Start Date : 1559
Monument Type : Botanic Garden
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Created 1670s
Monument End Date : 1679
Monument Start Date : 1670
Monument Type : Formal Garden
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Landscaped 1760s
Monument End Date : 1769
Monument Start Date : 1760
Monument Type : Garden
Evidence : Botanical Feature
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered 1813-56
Monument End Date : 1856
Monument Start Date : 1813
Monument Type : Garden
Evidence : Botanical Feature
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Opened in 1973
Monument End Date : 1973
Monument Start Date : 1973
Monument Type : Public Park
Evidence : Botanical Feature

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Register of Parks and Gardens Legacy No.
External Cross Reference Number : GD1029
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 27 NW 51
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 401267
Relationship type : Is referred to by

Related Activities :