HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

London Greyfriars

Hob Uid: 405004
Location :
Greater London Authority
City and County of the City of London
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3193081410
Summary : The site of a Franciscan Friary. This was the second Franciscan house founded in England, first at a house in Cornhill in 1224, and from 1225 on their own site at Newgate. It lay the the north-west of the Church of St Nicholas in the Shambles. With further acquisitions, the site became quiet extensive, and a period of intensive building work occured in the 1280s. The precinct was bounded by the City Wall to the north, Newgate Steet to the South, The Swan Inn to the west. The Eastern boundary is less certain. It was dissolved in 1538. Many notable people were buried there, including Queen Eleanor's heart (1291), and Elizabeth Barton, the Holy Maid of Kent, hanged at Tyburn for opposing Henry VIII's second marriage in 1534. The Great Church lay on the south side of the site on the north side of Newgate Street. There was a major rebuild of the church, 1308-48, at the instigation of Queen Margaret, 2nd wife of Edward I. After this rebuild, only St Paul's cathedral was larger than Greyfriars Church. The nave and quire were aisled on the North and South sides for their full length, and separated by a walking space. The Great Cloister lay to the north of the nave, with the chapterhouse and studies dorter in the east range, Whittington's Library in the north range, and the frater in the west range. The Lesser Cloister with its infirmary and hall lay west of the Great Cloister. The millhouse, bakehouse, brewhouse and gatehouse were in separate buildings along Newgate Street at the west end of the site. From 1547, the church and claustral buildings were granted to the City of London and reused as Christ Hospital, (See TQ38SW482 for later history).
More information : [Name centred TQ31938141]. SITE OF THE MONASTERY Of GREY FRIARS [AT]
[Name centred at TQ31978137]. SITE OF GREYFRIARS CONVENTUAL CHURCH [AT]
['A' Name centred TQ31968139]. CLOISTER [AT]
['B' Name centred TQ31968141]. THE GARDEN [AT]
['C' Name centred TQ31938141]. SITE OF THE OLD HALL [AT]
['D' Name centred TQ31908142]. SITE OF CLOISTERS [AT]
['E' Name centred TQ31928142]. SITE OF THE CREEK [AT]
['F' Name centred TQ31918143]. SITE OF THE REFECTORY [AT]
['G' Name centred TQ31898138]. SITE OF GATE [AT]
['H' Name centred TQ31928136]. SITE OF GATE [AT]
['J' Name centred TQ31918134]. SITE OF ST. EWIN'S CHURCH [AT]
['K' Name centred TQ31978142]. SITE OF THE DEAD CLOISTER [AT] (1)

Site of Franciscan Friary. This was the second Franciscan house founded in England, first at a house in Cornhill in 1224, and from 1225 on their own site at Newgate. It lay the the north-west of the Church of St Nicholas in the Shambles. With further acquisitions, the site became quiet extensive, and a period of intensive building work occured in the 1280s. The precinct was bounded by the City Wall to the north, Newgate Steet to the South, The Swan Inn to the west. The Eastern boundary is less certain. It was dissolved in 1538. Many notable people were buried there, including Queen Eleanor's heart (1291), and Elizabeth Barton, the Holy Maid of Kent, hanged at Tyburn for opposing Henry VIII's second marriage in 1534. The Great Church lay on the south side of the site on the north side of Newgate Street. There was a major rebuild of the church, 1308-48, at the instigation of Queen Margaret, 2nd wife of Edward I. After this rebuild, only St Paul's cathedral was larger than Greyfriars Church. The nave and quire were aisled on the North and South sides for their full length, and separated by a walking space. The Great Cloister lay to the north of the nave, with the chapterhouse and studies dorter in the east range, Whittington's Library in the north range, and the frater in the west range. The Lesser Cloister with its infirmary and hall lay west of the Great Cloister. The millhouse, bakehouse, brewhouse and gatehouse were in separate buildings along Newgate Street at the west end of the site. From 1547, the church and claustral buildings were granted to the City of London and reused as Christ Hospital. (2-4)

Scheduled. (5)

At time of adding to the AMIE record in 2011, online access to some of the information about the designation noted above is available through the National Heritage List for England. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:1056 1916.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 226
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Franciscan architecture in England
Source details :
Page(s) : 176-204
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The London encyclopeadia
Source details :
Page(s) : 155
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : Date of scheduling not available
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : English Heritage 2011. 'English Heritage: The National Heritage List for England' <> [Accessed 20-OCT-2011]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1538
Monument Start Date : 1225
Monument Type : Franciscan Friary, Church, Cloister, Refectory, Dormitory, Library, Chapter House, Infirmary, Brewhouse, Bakehouse, Gatehouse, Friary
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : LO 129
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1002002
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 38 SW 480
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 405006
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 405446
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, CHRISTCHURCH, NEWGATE STREET
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1976-01-01
End Date : 1976-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, GPO SITE, NEWGATE STREET (CENTRAL AREA)
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1979-01-01
End Date : 1979-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, 102-105 NEWGATE STREET
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1999-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, MERRILL LYNCH FINANCIAL CENTRE, 2 KING EDWARD STREET
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2001-01-01
End Date : 2001-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CHRISTCHURCH GREYFRIARS, NEWGATE STREET/KING EDWARD STREET
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2008-01-01
End Date : 2011-12-31