HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Caphouse Colliery

Hob Uid: 765996
Location :
Kirklees, Wakefield
Kirkburton, Sitlington
Grid Ref : SE2526816447
Summary : Caphouse Colliery, now the National Coal Mining Mueum, is on the western edge of the Yorkshire coalfield and incorporates three sites; Caphouse Pit, Hope Pit and Inman Shaft. Caphouse Pit was sunk in the 1770s or 1780s, the others in the early 19th century. In 1827 Sir John Lister Lister Kaye leased the coal and these and other pits were known as Denby Grange Colliery. The beam engine house of 1840-41 at Inman Shaft, sunk to pump water from Hope Pit, survives, but none of the mid 19th-century buildings at the other pits, and little of the colliery railway of 1853-4. At Caphouse Pit the steam winding engine house, boiler yard, chimney, stone heapstead and ventilation shaft, all completed in 1876 for Emma Lister Kaye, survive, as does a small store built shortly afterwards. Between 1905 and 1911 the timber headgear of the main shaft at Caphouse Pit was renewed and a timber-framed screens building erected nearby, and at Hope Pit, which became the air shaft to both pits, new surface buildings included a fan house and electric winding engine house. The Colliery was sold in 1907 and over the next 25 years coal drops were built, the sidings enlarged and in 1937-8 pithead baths and an administration block were built. Buildings and plant were upgraded by new owners between 1943 and 1946, the work continuing after Nationalisation, a drift mine being opened in 1974. The Colliery closed in 1985 and opened as the Yorkshire Mining Museum in 1988. In 1995 it was designated the National Coal Mining Museum for England after Chaterley Whitfield Museum closed.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Wakefield, 06-MAY-1988
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1492
Source Number : 2
Source : Coal-mining, the Yorkshire landscape and the Yorkshire Mining Museum
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports
Source details : The Coal Industry, 1994, West Yorkshire 2
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Sunk 1770s-80s
Monument End Date : 1789
Monument Start Date : 1770
Monument Type : Colliery, Mine Shaft
Evidence : Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Sunk early C19
Monument End Date : 1832
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Colliery, Mine Shaft
Evidence : Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Completed in 1876
Monument End Date : 1876
Monument Start Date : 1876
Monument Type : Chimney, Boiler House, Winder House, Heapstead, Ventilation Shaft
Evidence : Extant Building, Structure, Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 1905-11
Monument End Date : 1911
Monument Start Date : 1905
Monument Type : Winding Gear, Ventilation Shaft, Exhauster House
Evidence : Structure, Subterranean Feature, Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 1907-32
Monument End Date : 1932
Monument Start Date : 1907
Monument Type : Coal Drop
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 1937-38
Monument End Date : 1938
Monument Start Date : 1937
Monument Type : Pithead Baths, Office
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Change of use 1988
Monument End Date : 1988
Monument Start Date : 1988
Monument Type : Museum
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 91090
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 342534
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 12 NE 27
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 762644
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1480954
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 766023
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14