HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Clayton Hall

Hob Uid: 76619
Location :
Manchester
Manchester
Manchester
Grid Ref : SJ8814098560
Summary : Clayton was the seat of the Byron family from the late 12th to the early 17th century, after which it passed through various families. During the 15th century building expansion took place and Clayton Hall is thought to have been quadrangular or of three wings at this time. The hall was largely demolished and a new house built during the 17th century. The hall was partly rebuilt or enlarged in the 18th century and in 1900 the house was largely restored. It is constructed from red brick with some timber framing, under stone slate roofs. The hall stands of a rectangular island surrounded by a moat . The island measures circa 66 metres by 74 metres and access to it is gained by a late-medieval twin-arched stone bridge. A late 14th - early 15th century chapel stood at the island's north-west corner until the beginning of the 18th century and fragments of the masonry have been found on the island from time to time.
More information : (SJ 88149835) Clayton Hall (NR) Moat) (NR) (1)

An early 17th century moated manor house, which is probably on
the site of an earlier building. Additions were made to the
Hall in the 18th century, and in 1900 it was largely restored, so
that little of the original timber-framed house now survives.
It is alleged that a chapel was standing, at the beginning
of the 18th century, to the north-west of the Hall. Now the
property of Manchester Corporation. (2)

As described, but not outstanding, see photograph. The southern
part of the Hall is in the process of being renovated. A
water-filled moat surrounding the Hall is well maintained.
Published survey (1:1250) correct. No trace of chapel. (3)

Clayton Hall. A 15th and 17th century house surrounded by a
moat, approached across a stone bridge.

Listed Grade II*. (4)

SJ 8812 9856. The present Clayton Hall stands on a rectangular island
c.66m by 74m. Access to the island is by a later medieval twin
arched stone bridge across the moat's south-eastern arm.

Clayton was the seat of the Byron family from the late 12th to the
early 17th century, after which it passed through various families.
It was the birthplace of Humphrey Chetham, founder of Chetham's
School. A late 14th/early 15th century chapel stood at the island's
north-west corner until the beginning of the 18th century and
fragments of the masonry have been found on the island from time to
time. During the 15th century building expansion took place and
Clayton Hall is thought to have been quadrangular or of three wings
at this time. This hall was largely demolished and a new house built
during the 17th century. Additions to the hall were made in the 18th
century and in 1900 the house was largely restored. The late medieval
bridge replaced and earlier timber structure and was widened at the
turn of the 19th century. The moat has been scoured out and concrete
lined and, with the house, is not included in the schedule. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1931-38
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster, volume four
Source details :
Page(s) : 283
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHP 17-OCT-75
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Manchester, 03-OCT-1974
Page(s) : 10
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 698
Source Number : 5
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 08-Jan-93
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Manchester, 06-JUN-1994
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 698-1

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late C14 or early C15
Monument End Date : 1432
Monument Start Date : 1367
Monument Type : Domestic Chapel, Manor House, Bridge, Timber Framed House, Moat
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Structure, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C17 rebuilding
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Manor House, Moat
Evidence : Extant Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Domestic Chapel, House
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Bridge widened early C19
Monument End Date : 1832
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Bridge
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : House restored
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1900
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 387908
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 387909
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 22448
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 39842
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SJ 89 NE 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SJ 89 NE 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1975-10-17
End Date : 1975-10-17
Associated Activities : CLAYTON HALL
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31