HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Stone Priory

Hob Uid: 77647
Location :
Staffordshire
Stafford
Stone
Grid Ref : SJ9036033740
Summary : Monastery for secular canons founded circa 670 by Wulfhere, King of Mercia, and dedicated to SS Wulfad and Rufin. Destroyed by the Danes when the canons were dispersed. It was re-established as a secular college and Benedictine nunnery before 1066, but was abandoned before 1135. Re-founded as an Augustinian monastery of St Mary, St Wulfad and St Michael by Enisan de Waleton in 1135, populated with canons from Kenilworth, of which it was a dependency. In 1260 it became Independent and remained so until it was suppressed in 1536. An undercroft survives incorporated in the 19th century former rectory, now `The Priory'.
More information : (SJ 90363374) Site of (NAT) Abbey (NR) Augustinian Canons AD 670) (NAT)
(SJ 90393377) Crypt (NR) (1)

Establishment for secular canons, dedicated to SS Wulfad and Rufin, founded at Stone c 670 by Wulfhere, King of Mercia. Dispersed during Danish wars. Apparently a few Benedictine nuns there at the Norman Conquest but replaced or dispersed when the priory was granted as a dependency of Kenilworth and canons sent there c 1135. Independent 1260, dissolved 1536. (2)

"The priory church survived the Dissolution" being demolished 30th December 1749. In its place a new church....was built within the old stones....A rectory is on the site of the priory church".
(3)

Drawing of crypt, see illustration. (4)

At 'A', SJ 90393377, forming part of the former rectory (The Priory (4)), can be seen the stone vaulting of the crypt; two complete bays survive.

At 'B', SJ 90423377, was found (d) a substantial fragment of wall aligned N-S, the E wall of a building lying to the W. The disturbed earth is littered with paving and roof tiles and stone fragments.

The modern church contains no apparent re-used material. A Md tombstone with recumbent effigies has been placed in the tower. (5)

SJ 90393379. The 17th century Crompton tomb still stands in the churchyard, see illustrations (e). Surveyed at 1:2500. (6)

The Priory. Mid 19th century, but embodies fragments of priory, including a good vaulted undercroft. Grade 2. (7)

The history of the site is well documented, but there is little surface evidence of Stone Priory. The priory church, which survived the Dissolution, was demolished in 1749 and a new church replaced it. The modern church of St. Michael contains no apparent re-used material, but a medieval tombstone has been placed in the tower. Little remains of the priory buildings. Part of a sub-vault of, possibly, the western range is incorporated in the cellars of the house called The Priory. The house is in use as a dwelling. The priory remains within the house are best protected by the listed building status of the house. Regarding the scheduling of Stone Priory, there are problems associated with defining the boundary of the site and the layout and form of the priory buildings. Remains of the priory, however, may survive below the ground surface. (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:500 1880
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 144,175,255,266
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6e
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Stone in Staffs illusts (NG Cope) 96/72 CRO Staf
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) Stone RD July 1972 7
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : English Heritage Alternative Action Report
Source details : 10-AUG-1992.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : A history of the county of Stafford: volume III
Source details :
Page(s) : 240-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2b
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Notitia Monasticon 1744 488 (T Tanner)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The North Staffordshire Field Club transactions
Source details :
Page(s) : 28
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1881
Source Number : 4
Source : The North Staffordshire Field Club transactions
Source details :
Page(s) : 209
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 45, 1910-1
Source Number : 4c
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Rev C Promrose Ford
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 WW 09-JAN-58
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5d
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Inf Mr S Heywood
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 DJC 09-OCT-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Extant circa 1066-1135
Monument End Date : 1135
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Priory, Benedictine Double House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Extant circa 670-900
Monument End Date : 900
Monument Start Date : 670
Monument Type : Monastery, Priory
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Granted to Austin Canons
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1135
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory, Crypt, Structure
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1800
Monument Type : Vicarage
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Staffordshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 666
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SJ 93 SW 13
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 77813
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 333822
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SJ 93 SW 13
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1958-01-09
End Date : 1958-01-09
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SJ 93 SW 13
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-10-09
End Date : 1974-10-09
Associated Activities : LAND BETWEEN MILL STREET AND CHURCH STREET
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1993-01-01
End Date : 1993-12-31
Associated Activities : THE PRIORY, LICHFIELD STREET
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31