HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Harpham

Hob Uid: 79621
Location :
East Riding of Yorkshire
Harpham
Grid Ref : TA0912061500
Summary : The buried and earthwork remains of the medieval manor house of the St Quintin family together with an area of medieval settlement remains. The monument lies at the heart of Harpham village adjacent and to the west of St John's Church. Before the Norman Conquest the illage was in the hands of three landowners. The principal landholding was the manor of Burton Agnes which was held by Earl Morcar but which then passed to William the Conqueror after Morcar rebelled in 1071. In 1199 Harpham was separated from Burton Agnes and passed from the Stutvilles to the St Quintin family via marriage. Harpham then became the principal seat of a branch of the family until they moved to Scampston Hall some time in the 17th century. Adjacent to the parish church, is a large enclosure which is partly defined by a moat and a broad bank. This enclosure contained the medieval hall of the St Quintin's. To the north of the church there is a series of crofts and tofts with at least one levelled building platform. At the west end of the field to the west, north of Hall Garth Farm, there is a series of four of five smaller crofts, narrower and shorter than those north of the church. To the east of these stands a large depression over 25 metres across and 1.5 metres deep which is interpreted as the silted remains of a village pond. In the north western quarter of the manorial enclosure there are at least four building platforms. These are considered to be the locations of farm buildings attached to the manor house. Just to the east of this area the general ground level is higher. This is considered to be the location of the manorial hall and the core service buildings. To the north of this there is a broad level area 50 metres east-west and 20 metres wide. To the south of the churchyard there is a series of broad terraced areas which are interpreted as gardens attached to the manor house. Scheduled.
More information : (TA 09126150) Hall (NR) (Site of) (1)

Earthworks near the church (St John of Beverley) mark the site of the
manor house, chief seat of the St Quintin family until the 17th
century.(2). The site of the manor and the shrunken village are
visible on APs (3) as hollow-ways, banks and platforms. A mound
encircled by a bank is visible at approximately TA 09056132. (2-3)

The manor house complex is bounded on the south and west by a wide
superficial ditch, which, although probably a drainage feature,
cannot legitimately be described as a moat. Other earthworks
associated with shrinkage are confined to croft boundaries and
demarcation features to rig and furrow. The mound at TA 09056134
is probably a mill or dovecote site. Published survey (25").
revised. (4)

Seignorial moated site, mutilated. Other earthworks indicate shrinkage. (5)

TA 091 615. Hall (site of). Scheduled No HU/192. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : A history of the county of York, East Riding: volume 2
Source details :
Page(s) : 224
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : AP (RAF CPE/UK 1839 4089-91 13/11/1946)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ISS 02-OCT-75
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : The moated sites of Yorkshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 113
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : no.5
Source Number : 6
Source : County list of Scheduled Monuments : March 1994
Source details : Humberside
Page(s) : 12
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 19/03/1998
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Shrunken Village, Toft, Croft, Pond, Building Platform
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval (From 1199)
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1199
Monument Type : Moat, Building Platform, Manor House, Farm Building, Terraced Garden
Evidence : Earthwork, Conjectural Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : HU 192
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Humberside)
External Cross Reference Number : 4101
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : YK 428
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : ER 192
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 30142
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 06 SE 17
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TA 06 SE 17
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1975-10-02
End Date : 1975-10-02