HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Church of St Mary

Hob Uid: 79987
Location :
North Yorkshire
Scarborough
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TA0466789064
Summary : Church originally constructed circa 1120-35. St Mary's Church was granted to Citeaux Abbey, Burgundy in 1189 by Richard I, and was supervised by a proctor and one or two monks. They became 'custodes' or wardens of the church, responsible to the abbot for adminstration of rectorial revenues and payments, but divine service and maintenance was delegated to a secular priest. The nave is Cistercian in character and its erection was probably supervised by the monks. The small community of Cistercian monks, probably never more than three, consituted an alien cell or priory of Citeaux. The monks probably occupied the 'rectory house' according to Hamiliton Thompson. After the suppression of alien houses, circa 1407, the church and rectory manor passed to Bridlington Priory (TA 16 NE 15). Excavations located the layout of the early church comprising a rectangular building measuring 40 ft by 25 ft with walls 3.5 ft thick. The excavations also located three inhumations outside this building. Medieval and later pottery and 13th century tile were also recovered. The church later comprised a nave, double aisles, transepts and chancel, with two west and central towers, but was largely destroyed during the siege of the castle in 1645. Rebuilding and restoration took place in the late 17th and 19th century.
More information : (TA 0470 8905) St Mary's Church (C of E) (NAT) (1)

St Mary's Church, Castle Road. Grade A. 12th century. Formerly a very large building with nave, double aisles, transepts and chancel, with 2 west and central towers. The church was largely destroyed during the siege of the Castle in the 17th century. The chancel and West towers except for lower stages no longer remain. Rebuilding and restoration took placein late 17th century and again in mid 19th century.

The building stands high above the Old Fishing Port and more or less isolated on account of the gardens on the south side of the churchyard. The effect is impressive and the open character of the surroundings are worthy of preservation.
(For full description see list). (2)

Plan. (3)

St Mary's Church was granted to Citeaux Abbey, Burgundy in 1189 by Richard I, and was supervised by a proctor and one or two monks. They became 'custodes' or wardens of the church, responsible to the abbot for adminstration of rectorial revenues and payments, but divine service and maintenance was delegated to a secular priest. The nave is Cistercian in character and its erection was probably supervised by the monks. The small community of Cistercian monks, probably never more than three, consituted an alien cell or priory of Citeaux. The monks probably occupied the 'rectory house' according to Hamiliton Thompson.

After the suppression of alien houses, circa 1407, the church and rectory manor passed to Bridlington Priory (TA 16 NE 15). (4) (5).

Whellan stated that the cell was "situated in the north-east corner of the west burial ground of St Mary's". (6) [Area centred TA 04628908. The Ordnance Survey marks "Cistercian Cell (Supposed site)" on OS 1:500 1892 at TA 0462 8904 but both sitings cannot be authenticated]. (See TA 08 NW 131 for Proctor of Citeaux House excavated 1969-75).

St Mary's Church. TA 047 891. During restoration work early in 1970, the foundations of an earlier building were found below the nave floor. Excavation by R.A. Varley of Scarborough Museum reveled a rectangular building measuring 40 ft x 24 or 25 ft with mortared walls 3.5 ft thick (4 ft at the west end). The floor was of mortar, 5 to 7 ins thick, below which was natural brown clay. A post hole was found 2 ft from the west wall. The structure was probably the remains of the first church on the site, provisionally dated 1120-35 AD.

Three skeletons were found outside the early building and three more were inside. Early 13th to 17th century pottery together with nails and 13th century tiles were recovered. (7)

TA 04678906. The remains of the medieval Church of St Mary. Scheduled. (9)

Excavations in 1970 (MNY9404) located the layout of an early church comprising a rectangular building measuring 12m by 7.5m with walls 1.1¿1.2m thick. The excavations also located three inhumations outside this building. Medieval and later pottery and 13th-century tile were recovered. The date of the early building may have been 1120¿35, contemporary with an early settlement founded by le Gros. The later church comprised a largely 13th- to 14th-century nave with 12th-century fragments, double aisles, transepts and chancel, with two W and central towers, but was largely destroyed during the siege of the castle in 1645. Rebuilding and restoration took place in the late 17th and 19th century, including the tower, built 1699 to replace its predecessor, which collapsed in 1659. The church was granted to Citeaux Abbey, Burgundy in 1189 by Richard I, and was supervised by a proctor and one or two monks. They became 'custodes' or wardens of the church, responsible to the abbot for adminstration of rectorial revenues and payments, but divine service and maintenance was delegated to a secular priest. The nave is Cistercian in character and its erection was probably supervised by the monks. The small community of Cistercian monks, probably never more than three, consituted an alien cell or priory of Citeaux. The monks probably occupied the 'rectory house' according to Hamiliton Thompson. After the suppression of alien houses, c 1407, the church and rectory manor passed to Bridlington Priory. Grade I listed. (10)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1967
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Borough of Scarborough, Yorkshire North Riding, 8 June 1973
Page(s) : 11
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Gazetteer Reference SC40, Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York, North Riding, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 554-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 130-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Studia Monastica 2 1960 95-158 - "Citeaux and Scarborough" (C H Talbot)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : The history of Scarborough
Source details :
Page(s) : 54-93
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : History and topography of the city of York and the North Riding of Yorkshire : embracing a general review of the early history of Great Britain, and a general history and description of the county of York [2 volumes]
Source details :
Page(s) : 702-04
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Transactions of the Scarborough Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 57
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2, 1970
Source Number : 8
Source : East Riding Antiquities Society Bulletin
Source details : (P Armstrong)
Page(s) : 1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : -1973
Source Number : 9
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 03-Sep-02
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Inhumation
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Constructed c1120-35
Monument End Date : 1135
Monument Start Date : 1120
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1407
Monument Start Date : 1189
Monument Type : Cistercian Cell, Alien Cell
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C13
Monument End Date : 1300
Monument Start Date : 1201
Monument Type : Findspot
Evidence : Find
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Partly destroyed in 1645
Monument End Date : 1645
Monument Start Date : 1645
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt and restored late C17
Monument End Date : 1700
Monument Start Date : 1667
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt and restored C19
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Period : Medieval
Component Monument Type : Findspot
Object Type : TILE
Object Material :

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 95542
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 444462
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 34839
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY9403
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY9404
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY9405
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : DNY12208
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 125895
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1020551
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 08 NW 43
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, SURVEY BY SYDNEY DECIMUS KITSON
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date :
End Date :
Associated Activities : Primary, ST MARY'S CHURCH
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1970-01-01
End Date : 1970-12-31