HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Archbishops Palace

Hob Uid: 464536
Location :
Kent
Canterbury
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TR1502057980
Summary : The Great Hall and other fragmentary remains of the Archbishops Palace rebuilt between 1193 and 1228 on the site of the original palace probably initiated by Lanfranc in the 11th century. Most of the major buildings of the Palace were demolished in the 1650's. The Palace was rebuilt again to designs by W D Caroe in 1896, retaining some of the original features. Excavations have located the Great Hall which was constructed late 12th early 13th century.
More information : (TR 15015797) Remains of Palace [NR]. (1)

The Archbishop's Palace or the Old Palace, Grade II. Rebuilt in 1896
by WD Caroe, but the south wing contains some traces of old work in
the buttresses and a 14th century window. The 16th century gateway
in the Borough remains, though blocked. The building incorporates
the west end of the undercroft of the monastic refectory. (2)

Between September and early November 1982 a large trench (3m x 22m)
was excavated on the site of the early 13th century Great Hall at
the medieval Archbishop's Palace. The Great Hall of the Archbishop's
Palace, the second largest medieval Great Hall in Britain after
Westminster, was constructed c1200-1220 by Archbishops Hubert Walter
and Stephen Langton and was demolished in the 1650s. (3)

All the surviving remains of the 13th century Great Hall of the
Archbishop's Palace, where restoration work is taking place, have
been recorded. (4)

It was almost certainly built by Archbishop Simon Langton, who died
in 1228. A survey is also being made of other surviving pre-1650
remains of the Archbishop's Palace. (5)

The Great Hall has been shown to be larger than originally thought
and remains of the Archbishop's detatched Great Kitchen have been
located. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : OS 1/500 1874
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) City of Canterbury Kent 07-Sep-1973 63-4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : 1982 plan (J Rady)
Page(s) : 230-33
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 98
Source Number : 4
Source : Canterbury Archaeological Trust annual report
Source details : 1978-79 (T Tatton-Brown)
Page(s) : 20
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3
Source Number : 5
Source : Canterbury Archaeological Trust annual report
Source details : 1979-80 (T Tatton-Brown)
Page(s) : 33
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4
Source Number : 6
Source : Canterbury Archaeological Trust annual report
Source details : 1980-81 (T Tatton-Brown)
Page(s) : 15-16
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 5
Source Number : 7
Source : Medieval art and architecture at Canterbury before 1220
Source details : (Tim Tatton Brown)
Page(s) : 112-119
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 5 for 1979

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built after 1070 and by 1170
Monument End Date : 1170
Monument Start Date : 1070
Monument Type : Great Hall, Kitchen, Archbishops Palace
Evidence : Demolished Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt between 1193 and 1228
Monument End Date : 1228
Monument Start Date : 1193
Monument Type : Archbishops Palace, Great Hall, Architectural Fragment
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt in 1896
Monument End Date : 1896
Monument Start Date : 1896
Monument Type : Archbishops Palace
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : KE 335
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 170536
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TR 15 NE 194
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE, GREAT HALL
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1982-01-01
End Date : 1982-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1985-01-01
End Date : 1986-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CARLYON HOUSE, THE KING'S SCHOOL
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2010-01-01
End Date : 2010-12-31