HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Scarborough Greyfriars

Hob Uid: 80077
Location :
North Yorkshire
Scarborough
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TA0458088900
Summary : Franciscan friary, founded in 1239, moved to Hatterboard in 1245 due to opposition from the Cistercians of Scarborough, (see TA08NW16). Henry III ordered the bailiffs to help in the removal of buildings and materials to the new site. They returned to Scarborough in 1272. The site abutted on the cemetery of St Sepulchre (TA 08 NW 96) and the gutter called Damyet (TA 08 NW 108). Rebuilding or enlargement of the friar's church is noted in 1280, and licence to dedicate the church and cemetery was issued in 1306-7. Dissolved in 1539. Excavations in St Sepulchre Street in 1987 and 1988 confirmed that the excavations fell within the precinct of the friary.
More information : (TA 04588890) Franciscan Convent (NR) (Site of) AD 1240 (NAT) (1)

The Friary of the Franciscan (Grey Friars) at Scarborough was founded as early as 1239, but in 1245 the Cistercians (see St Marys Church and alien cell - TA 08 NW 43) strongly resisted the establishment and forced the friars to move to a new site at Hatterboard (TA 08 NW 16). They returned to Scarborough, however, between 1267 and 1272 on land described in 1315 as 'abutting on the cemetery of St Sepulchre (TA 08 NW 96) and the gutter called Damyet (TA 08 NW 108)'. Rebuilding or enclargement of the friar's church is noted in 1280, and licence to dedicate the church and cemetery was issued in 1306-7. The friary was surrendered in 1539 to the Bishop of Dover (2-3).

From the "extent of the foundations yet to be traced in the Friarage, to the north of St Sepulchre Street [it] seems to have been a very spacious building" (4). The friary or friary church is sketched on a map or 'plat' of Scarborough, dated circa 1538 (a) and depicts it as having an impressive nave and tall tower with pyramid pinnacle. Sketch (see illustration card). (5) (2-6)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:500 1892
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 274-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 228
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist and Topo of York and NR 1 1857 704-5 (T Whellan)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : T Scarborough A and NS 25 1983 15-17 (J Binns)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Map or 'plat' of Scarborough c.1538. Original in British Museum Cotton Mss Aug I ii, i
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Gazetteer Reference SC67, Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1245
Monument Start Date : 1239
Monument Type : Franciscan Friary, Monastic Precinct
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Refounded
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1272
Monument Type : Franciscan Friary, Monastic Precinct
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY9416
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 08 NW 93
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 79938
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, 18-22 ST SEPULCHRE STREET
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1987-01-01
End Date : 1987-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, 10/10A ST SEPULCHRE STREET
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1989-01-01
End Date : 1989-12-31