HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Scarborough Whitefriars

Hob Uid: 80078
Location :
North Yorkshire
Scarborough
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TA0440088710
Summary : Carmelite Friary (White Friars) in the priory of St Mary in Scarborough. The friary was founded in 1319 when Edward II granted two houses for them to build an oratory and dwelling place. A licence to build a chapel and bell-tower was granted in 1320-1. The friary was surrendered in 1539 to the Bishop of Dover. Egan says that there were eight friars circa 1500. A find of 20-30 skeletons may mark the site of the cemetery.
More information : (TA 0440 8871) Carmelite Convent (NR) (Site of) AD 1320 (NAT) (1)

The friary of the Carmelites (White Friars) at Scarborough was founded in 1319 when Edward II granted two houses for them to build an oratory and dwelling place. A licence to build a chapel and bell-tower was granted in 1320-1. The friary was surrendered in 1539 to the Bishop of Dover. Egan (a) says that there were eight friars circa 1500. (2-3)

The Carmelite Convent lay behind the present Queen Street Chapel (areaTA 044 885). (4)

Carmelite Friary founded 1319 in the priory of St Mary when Edward II granted 2 houses for them to build an oratory and dwelling place. A licence to build a chapel and bell tower was granted in 1320¿1. A find of 20¿30 skeletons may mark the site of the cemetery. Dissolved in 1538 and surrendered to the Bishop of Dover. The friary lay behind the Queen Street Chapel. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:500 1892
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York, North Riding, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 540
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 236
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 279-80
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : 'Carmelus' 16 1969 - 'Md Carmelite Houses (Very Rev K Egan)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Gazetteer Reference SC115, Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : founded 1319
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1319
Monument Type : Carmelite Friary
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : dissolved 1539
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1539
Monument Type : Carmelite Friary
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Uncertain
Display Date : Uncertain
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Cemetery, Inhumation
Evidence : Find

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY9428
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY9430
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY9432
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 08 NW 94
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :