HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Scarborough Blackfriars

Hob Uid: 80079
Location :
North Yorkshire
Scarborough
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TA0433088860
Summary : Dominican Friary founded circa 1252, dissolved 1539. In 1283 they applied to the king to pull down the ruined town wall (see Town Defences - TA 08 NW 104) and use the stone for building their church. A benefactor, Isabel de Beaumont paid for the building of the nave of the church, the cloister and dormitory, circa 1291. Frair's Way (formerly Friars Entry) marks the site of the Dominican house and Whellan refers to several houses being built of conventual material. Human remains were found while digging the cellar of one of the houses, suggesting that was the site of the priory cemetery. There were fifteen friars here a the end of the 15th century. The friary was surrendered in 1539 to the Bishop of Dover.
More information : (TA 04338886) Dominican Convent (NR) (Site of) Temp Henry III (NAT) (1)

The Friary of the Dominican (Black Friars) at Scarborough was founded before 1252. In 1283 they applied to the king to pull down the ruined town wall (see Town Defences - TA 08 NW 104) and use the stone for building their church. A benefactor, Isabel de Beaumont paid for the building of the nave of the church, the cloister and dormitory, circa 1291.

There were fifteen friars here a the end of the 15th century. The friary was surrendered in 1539 to the Bishop of Dover. (2-3)

Friar's Entry [now Frair's Way - centred TA 04348887], marks the site of the Dominican house (4) and Whellan refers to "the masonry of several of the houses in Friar's Entry, composed of the materials of old convential buildings .... In digging a cellar in a house in Friar's Entry some years ago, a quantity of human bones were found, from which it is conjectured .... the burial place of the Convent." (5)

Black Fryer Gate [now Queen Street - centred TA 0430 8883] is shown on John Cossin's map of 1725 (6). Dominican convent shown on map or 'plat' of Scarborough, circa 1538 (see illustration card). (7)

Dominican Friary founded c 1252, dissolved 1539 and surrendered to the Bishop of Dover. In 1283 the Dominicans applied to the king to pull down the ruined town wall and use the stone for building their church. A benefactor, Isabel de Beaumont paid for the building of the nave of the church, the cloister and dormitory, c 1291. The church is shown on a map of 1538 to be single aisled with a squat tower. Friar's Way (formerly Friars Entry) marks the site of the Dominican house and Whellan refers to several houses being built of conventual material. Human remains were found while digging the cellar of one of the houses, suggesting that was the site of the priory cemetery. Queen Street was formerly Black Friar Gate. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:500 1892
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 277-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 219
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York, North Riding, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 540
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist and Topo of York and NR 1 1857 706-7 (T Whellan)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Map of Scarborough 1725 (John Cossins)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Transactions of the Scarborough Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 25, 1983
Source Number : 7a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Map or 'plat' of Scarborough c.1538.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Gazetteer Reference SC130, Yorkshire and LIncolnshire Rapid Coastal Zone Assessmnet
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : founded 1252
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1252
Monument Type : Dominican Friary, Church, Cloister
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Possibly Mediaeval
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1252
Monument Type : Human Remains, Cemetery, Friary
Evidence : Find, Conjectural Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY9424
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY9425
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY9426
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 08 NW 95
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND REAR OF 34 QUEEN STREET
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2011-01-01
End Date : 2011-12-31