HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Citadel

Hob Uid: 80548
Location :
City of Kingston upon Hull
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TA1049028600
Summary : The remains of an artillery garrison fort constructed between 1681-90, and incorporating the remains of the defences built by Henry VIII in 1541-2. The 16th century defences comprised three blockhouses inked by a curtain wall, situated on the eastern side of the River Hull. The middle blockhouse became known as Hull Castle. Between 1681-3 the Castle and South Blockhouse were repaired and incorporated into a new defensive work. The landward defences were completed in 1683-4 but it was not until 1686-90 that the defences facing the Humber were built. The Citadel enclosed a triangular area. Bastions extended from each corner, linked by curtain walls and ramparts and a moat ran around the north east and north west sides. Hull Castle lies within the northern bastion, with the South Blockhouse located towards the apex of the south western bastion. The original main gate was set in the north east curtain wall and was flanked by guard chambers which served as magazines during the Napoleonic Wars. Within the Citadel was a parade ground, with barracks on the west side and officers' quarters to the south. A number of alterations and repairs were carried out between 1804 and 1815, including the conversion of the Castle into an armoury in 1805 and the South Blockhouse into a naval store in 1806. The site was sold off in 1863 and the buildings were levelled the following year.
More information : CITADEL [G.T.] (Site of) (1-2)

Authorised for publication on 1/1250 Resurvey as CITADEL [G.T.] (Site of). Published as CITADEL [G.T.] (Site of) Inspection of published plan. (3)

The Citadel, 1680-1681, incorporating the castle [ at A, TA 1048 2876] and the Southern Blockhouse [at B, TA 1033 2841] both of 1451 A.D. (4)

TA 10442874; TA 10512853. The buried remains of an artillery garrison fort constructed between 1681-90, and incorporating the remains of the defences built by Henry VIII in 1541-2. The 16th century defences comprised three blockhouses inked by a curtain wall, situated on the eastern side of the River Hull. The middle blockhouse became known as Hull Castle. Between 1681-3 the Castle and South Blockhouse were repaired and incorporated into a new defensive work. The landward defences were completed in 1683-4 but it was not until 1686-90 that the defences facing the Humber were built. The Citadel enclosed a triangular area. Bastions extended from each corner, linked by curtain walls and ramparts and a moat ran around the north east and north west sides. Hull Castle lies within the northern bastion, with the South Blockhouse located towards the apex of the south western bastion. The original main gate was set in the north east curtain wall and was flanked by guard chambers which served as magazines during the Napoleonic Wars. Within the Citadel was a parade ground, with barracks on the west side and officers' quarters to the south. A number of alterations and repairs were carried out between 1804 and 1815, including the conversion of the Castle into an armoury in 1805 and the South Blockhouse into a naval store in 1806. The site was sold off in 1863 and the buildings were levelled the following year. Scheduled. (5)

Similar information. (6)

Full description of the excavations in the 1990s. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : O.S.6" 1911
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : O.S. 1/1250 plan TA1028NE
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : A.S. TA1028NE. 24.9.49.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : Corr 6" (K A MacMahon)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Inf G D Wardell 1951
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 11-Aug-03
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Fortress : the castles and fortifications quarterly
Source details :
Page(s) : 40-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2, AUGUST 1989
Source Number : 7
Source : Post-medieval archaeology : the journal of the Society for Post-Medieval Archaeology
Source details : Foreman M
Page(s) : 143-185
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 30, 1996
Source Number : 7B
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Transcripts of documents relating to Hull Citadel, 1660-1865 (copies held in NMRC)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Between 1541 and 1542
Monument End Date : 1542
Monument Start Date : 1541
Monument Type : Curtain Wall, Blockhouse
Evidence : Structure, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1681-90
Monument End Date : 1690
Monument Start Date : 1681
Monument Type : Artillery Fort, Bastion, Rampart, Parade Ground, Barracks, Officers Quarters, Guardhouse, Wash House
Evidence : Ruined Building, Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Napeolonic Wars
Monument End Date : 1815
Monument Start Date : 1799
Monument Type : Magazine
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1804-15
Monument End Date : 1815
Monument Start Date : 1804
Monument Type : Armament Depot, Barracks
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1805
Monument End Date : 1805
Monument Start Date : 1805
Monument Type : Armoury
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1806
Monument End Date : 1806
Monument Start Date : 1806
Monument Type : Naval Storehouse
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Humberside)
External Cross Reference Number : 11690/8451
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Humberside)
External Cross Reference Number : 8451
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Humberside)
External Cross Reference Number : 713
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Humberside)
External Cross Reference Number : 11690
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 34710
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 12 NW 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1062074
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1062078
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, CITADEL STREET SEWER
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1976-01-01
End Date : 1976-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, HULL CITADEL
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1987-01-01
End Date : 1988-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CITADEL TRADING PARK
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1989-01-01
End Date : 1989-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CITADEL TRADING PARK
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1991-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, HULL CITADEL
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1993-01-01
End Date : 1993-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, SAMMY'S POINT REDEVELOPMENT
Activity type : DESK BASED ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, HULL CITADEL
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1995-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, TOWER STREET
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, SAMMY'S POINT
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, VICTORIA SCHOOL, SOUTH BRIDGE ROAD
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, HULL UWWTD SCHEME, THE CITADEL
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, THE DEEP ACCESS ROAD, SAMMY'S POINT
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, VICTORIA DOCK PRIMARY SCHOOL, THE CITADEL
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2000-01-01
End Date : 2000-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT SOUTHBRIDGE ROAD, HULL
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2000-01-01
End Date : 2000-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND EAST OF TOWER STREET
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2002-01-01
End Date : 2002-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, VICTORIA DOCK PRIMARY SCHOOL, SOUTHBRIDGE ROAD
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2002-01-01
End Date : 2002-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LITTLE LEARNERS NURSERY, SOUTH BRIDGE ROAD
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2005-01-01
End Date : 2005-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, EAST BANK, DRYPOOL
Activity type : ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 2005-01-01
End Date : 2005-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT CITADEL WAY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2007-01-01
End Date : 2007-12-31