HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Duke Of Suffolks Palace

Hob Uid: 80550
Location :
City of Kingston upon Hull
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TA1000028830
Summary : Built 1296-1307 by Richard Oysel, second of Edward I's keepers of Hull, and passed to the de la Pole family circa 1330. The house was rebuilt circa 1380. An inventory of 1388 refers to a hall, summer hall, great chamber, numerous further chambers, a chapel, two wine cellars, a kitchen, a bakehouse, a granary and two dovecotes amongst various other buildings. Documentary sources from the mid 16th century describe the building as a mansion and depict it as a series of courtyards bounded by a wall and containing a gatehouse, great hall, and chamber blocks. The four storey gatehouse was built of brick and stone, as was the great hall which had a buttery and pantry to the east with a chamber above and a great chamber to the west. A magazine was recorded on the site in 1642. The majority of the buildings were demolished in the late 17th century, though the gatehouse survived until 1771.
More information : Suffolk Palace, A.D. 1384 to 1387. [TA10002883] (1)

Duke of Suffolk's Palace, known as the Manor House, formerly occupied ground between Bowl Alley and Manor Alley. (2)

Built 1296-1307 by Richard Oysel, second of Edward I's keepers of Hull, and passed to the de la Pole family circa 1330. The house was rebuilt circa 1380. An inventory of 1388 refers to a hall, summer hall, great chamber, numerous further chambers, a chapel, two wine cellars, a kitchen, a bakehouse, a granary and two dovecotes amongst various other buildings. Documentary sources from the mid 16th century describe the building as a mansion and depict it as a series of courtyards bounded by a wall and containing a gatehouse, great hall, and chamber blocks. The four storey gatehouse was built of brick and stone, as was the great hall which had a buttery and pantry to the east with a chamber above and a great chamber to the west. A magazine was recorded on the site in 1642. The majority of the buildings were demolished in the late 17th century, though the gatehouse survived until 1771. (3-4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : Corr 6" (K.A. MacMahon)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1a
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Inf G.D. Wardell 1951
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Evolution of Kingston on Hull (1911) 28,35 and 47 (T Shephard)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/archaeology
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Greater medieval houses of England and Wales 1300-1500, volume 1 : northern England
Source details :
Page(s) : 356-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1296-1307
Monument End Date : 1307
Monument Start Date : 1296
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : c1380
Monument End Date : 1390
Monument Start Date : 1370
Monument Type : Great Hall, Chapel, Kitchen, Bakehouse, Wine Cellar, Buttery, Granary, Dovecote, Pond, Garden
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1642
Monument End Date : 1642
Monument Start Date : 1642
Monument Type : Magazine
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished late C17
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1667
Monument Type : Great House, Courtyard House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 12 NW 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ALFRED GELDER STREET
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2001-01-01
End Date : 2001-12-31