HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Old Hall

Hob Uid: 80757
Location :
East Riding of Yorkshire
Barmston
Grid Ref : TA1556058780
Summary : A late 17th century house with a supposedly 16th century wing and later additions and alterations including a 19th century range to the rear. The medieval moat and fishponds are still extant; earthworks of hollows, banks and enclosures. The house is built of pinkish-red brick in Flemish bond with alternate rows of stretcher bond, the range to the left is in English garden wall bond with cobbles to the side and rear. The main range is on a chamfered ashlar plinth with ashlar dressings and a pantile roof.
More information : [TA 15565878] Old Hall (NR) (1)

Barmston Manor House, moated on all sides, adjoins the church. The right wing was erected by Sir Thomas Boynton in Elizabeth's reign. The building was mostly demolished about 1795. (2)

Moat well defined and water filled. (3)

The surviving wing of the 16th. Cent. Hall contains two 18th-19th century recessed doorways on the E front, and a small two-storey wing of the same date on the North and West side. Grade 2. (4)

The "Old Hall", as described, is in good condition though not of outstanding merit.
As well as the moat, which is almost completely preserved although
overgrown with vegetation and partly water filled, there is a large field with boundary bank and two ditches to the S of the moat. One is probably the feed channel. There are also remains of enclosures, banks and hollows to the NW and NE of the Old Hall.
Published survey (25") Revised. (5)

Moated site with fishponds. (6)

Listed II*. House, probably late 17th century with earlier range of reputedly 16th century origins. Later additions. (7)

Earthwork survey. (8)

TA 1560 5876. Medieval complex at Barmston Old Hall, including two
moated sites, a pond, three fishponds and associated enclosures with
part of a field system. Scheduled RSM No 21204.
The main moated site lies in the W central part of the monument. Its
waterlogged moat is between 15m and 20m wide and up to 2m deep,
except for a 30m long section at the N end of the W arm which has
been infilled. The island is sub-rectangular and measures c.100m
N-S by 70m E-W. Old Hall stands at the centre of the island,
replacing earlier buildings from the 13th century onwards. Access
to the island is provided by a brick and stone bridge which crosses
the N arm of the moat. To the S of the main moat is a large square
enclosure defined by a bank and ditch; the bank is up to 2m high and
7m wide and the ditch 2m deep and 6m wide. Much of its interior is
covered in ridge and furrow, although two fishponds lie in its NW
corner. These now appear as L-shaped features lying close together
with the S pond partly enclosing the N. The N and E arms arms of the
N pond are 7m wide and up to 2m deep and are 140m long overall; there
appears to have been a SE arm which is now almost entirely infilled.
The S pond is up to 20m wide by 2m deep and is 110m long overall.
Silted channels 6m wide appear originally to have connected the S
arm of the pond to the ditch of the surrounding enclosure.

To the N of the S enclosure and to the E of the main moated site,
continued agricultural land use has altered and obscured the original
pattern of boundary ditches, although slight traces of ridge and
furrow survive. The E boundary of the S enclosure appears to have
extended further N to join up with the E boundary of the site at its
well-defined NE corner. The N boundary of the site is defined by a
ditch which runs alongside the road. The medieval church and
churchyard of All Saints, Listed Grade I, lie on a slight ridge to
the NE of the main moated site but are excluded from the Scheduling
as they remain in ecclesiastical use.

To the NE of the churchyard lies the second moated area which appears
to have been set within a pre-existing enclosure, so that it now has
two sets of ditches on the S and E sides; the original access to the
church appears to have been along the strip of land betwen these
ditches. The moated area measures 50m N-S by 40m E-W, surrounded by
a moat ditch 4m wide and 0.75m deep. To the W of this second moat and
N of the church is a square silted pond measuring 38m by 38m and
0.75m deep. Its sides have been revetted with brick and stone. W of
this is a silted up medieval fishpond measuring 38m by 13m by 1m
deep. Further earthworks survive between this fishpond and the
modern farm buildings but are difficult to interpret. The site was
occupied from at least the mid 13th century and was originally part
of the Burton Agnes estate. During the 16th century the site was the
main residence of Sir Thomas Boynton, though the estate's principal
house was, and remains, Burton Agnes Hall. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" NSL
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The history and antiquities of the Seigniory of Holderness in the East-Riding of the County of York [...], vol.1
Source details : 213 plate
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : S S Rev (C Wardale, Feb 1952)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG (Prov List) Bridlington R D April, 1965
Page(s) : 01-Feb
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ISS 25-JUL-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : The moated sites of Yorkshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 110
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : no.5
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (Listed Buildings) 29th List Borough of East Yorkshire (Humberside) 17/07/87
Page(s) : 3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Medieval Village Research Group annual report
Source details : 1985
Page(s) : 14
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 33
Source Number :
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : English Heritage Scheduling Amendment 7/12/93
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Moat, Fishpond, Manor
Evidence : Earthwork, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built late C17th
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1667
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C19th additions
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1800
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 21204
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : HU 150
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Humberside)
External Cross Reference Number : 6079
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Humberside)
External Cross Reference Number : 359
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 98518
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 167758
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 15 NE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TA 15 NE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-07-25
End Date : 1974-07-25
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD HALL MOATED SITE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1986-01-01
End Date : 1986-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14