HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 81730

Hob Uid: 81730
Location :
East Riding of Yorkshire
Aldbrough
Grid Ref : TA2329039420
Summary : Medieval moated site surviving as an earthwork. Site of Bewick Hall. Supposed site of deserted medieval village.
More information : (TA 231393) Bewick Hall (NR) (Supposed site of)
(TA 23293942) Moat (NR) (1)

Next to Bewick Hall Farmhouse (TA 23 NW 2) there is a small
moat, and in a field to the SW there are traces of foundations,
believed to be those of the old hall. (2)

DMV of Bewick in Aldbrough mentioned in Domesday. Twelve persons
were accounted for in 1801. (3)

Many ditch-bounded fields of small size can be seen in the field
north of Bewick Hall (centred TA 232396) and in the northern
half of the field to the south, along the southern edge of which
is the cropmark of a walled roadway. (4)

Extensive ploughing and cultivation of the area to the
south-west and north of the present farm has destroyed all
traces of foundations at the supposed site of Bewick Hall.
Similarly there are no visible remains of any deserted village
or of the cropmarked fields. The water-filled moat to the north
of the farmhouse encloses a raised portion of ground some 60m x 20m.
There are no traces of any occupation.
Published survey (25") revised on field document. (5)

TA 232 394. Probably susidiary moat of main manor house, now gone.
Moat recently enlarged for irrigation. (6)

TA 2328 3942. Bewick Hall moated site. Scheduled RSM No 21206.
The sub-rectangular island enclosed by the moat measures 80m long
E-W by 30m wide. The N, W and E arms of the moat are between 10m
and 12m wide and up to 3m deep. The S arm is 15m wide and 3m deep.
The SE corner of the moat has been redug and enlarged and the
external edge revetted with concrete. A land drain runs into the
moat at its SW corner. The only access to the island is afforded
by a modern plank bridge. The moat enclosed the house of the Lords
of Bewick and was associated with the nearby deserted village which
is mentioned in Domesday. (7)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1855
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist of Holderness 2 1841 24 (G Poulson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Yorkshire archaeological journal
Source details : YAJ 38 1955 58 (M Beresford)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : APs (RAF CPE/UK/1748 5152-3 21.9.46)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHP 31-MAY-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : The moated sites of Yorkshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 110
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : English Heritage Scheduling Amendment 25/11/93
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Moat, Manor House, Deserted Settlement
Evidence : Earthwork, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 21206
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 23 NW 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TA 23 NW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-05-31
End Date : 1974-05-31