HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Burghley Park

Hob Uid: 868212
Location :
City of Peterborough
St. Martin's Without
Grid Ref : TF0450005500
Summary : Landscape park, formal gardens and pleasure grounds to Burghley House covering an area of 500 hectares. The park was enclosed between 1555 and 1580s and had expanded in area by the mid 17th century and included planting by George London in 1702. Lancelot Brown was commissioned to redesign the park in 1754 and his work was completed by 1777. Extensions to the park took place between 1793 and 1802. Additional tree planting took place between 1804-1867. Formal gardens, designed by George London and Moses Cook, were laid out in 1683. Further changes to the gardens took place between 1804-1867. Additional formal gardens were planted after 1898.
More information : Formal gardens, pleasure grounds and landscape park at Burghley House. The park was emparked by circa 1555 and early formal gardens are documented in 1564 and 1699. The pleasure grounds where laid out between 1754-1783 by Capability Brown and also contain 19th century flower gardens and shrubberies. Features include lawns, and a formal rose garden with a central fountain basin situated on the southside of an orangery of circa 1756-63. The lake was designed by Brown and has a waterfall. There is also a bridge constructed circa 1772-75, a bathhouse or banquenting house circa 1756-78 and a boathouse of 1871. The park comprising a radial layout of tree avenues which date from the late 16th century with plantations and perimenter planting. Buildings include stables of circa 1756-78, an ice house and lodges. Demolished buildings include a dairy house and lodge both constructed during the 1760s. The walled kitchen gardens were designed during the 1760s and extended in the late 19th century. (1)

Landscape park, formal gardens and pleasure grounds to Burghley House covering an area of 500 hectares. The park was enclosed between 1555 and 1580s and had expanded in area by the mid 17th century and included planted by George London in 1702. Lancelot Brown was commissioned to redesign the park in 1754 and his work was completed by 1777. Extensions to the park took place between 1793 and 1802. Additional tree planting took place between 1804-1867. Formal gardens, designed by George London and Moses Cook, were laid out in 1683. Further changes to the gardens took place between 1804-1867. Additional formal gardens were planted after 1898. (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Cambridgeshire (May 1987)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 5
Source Number : 2
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Cambridgeshire, revised 07-Jul-2003
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : PART 5

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Enclosed 1555-1580s
Monument End Date : 1589
Monument Start Date : 1555
Monument Type : Landscape Park
Evidence : Botanical Feature
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Expanded mid C17
Monument End Date : 1666
Monument Start Date : 1633
Monument Type : Landscape Park
Evidence : Botanical Feature
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Planted 1683
Monument End Date : 1683
Monument Start Date : 1683
Monument Type : Formal Garden
Evidence : Botanical Feature
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Planted 1702
Monument End Date : 1702
Monument Start Date : 1702
Monument Type : Landscape Park
Evidence : Botanical Feature
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled 1754-77
Monument End Date : 1777
Monument Start Date : 1754
Monument Type : Landscape Park
Evidence : Botanical Feature
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Extended 1793-1802
Monument End Date : 1802
Monument Start Date : 1793
Monument Type : Landscape Park
Evidence : Botanical Feature
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Planted 1804-1867
Monument End Date : 1867
Monument Start Date : 1804
Monument Type : Landscape Park, Formal Garden
Evidence : Botanical Feature
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Planted after 1898
Monument End Date : 1898
Monument Start Date : 1898
Monument Type : Formal Garden
Evidence : Botanical Feature

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Register of Parks and Gardens Legacy No.
External Cross Reference Number : GD1308
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 00 NW 198
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 348156
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1036740
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT BURGHLEY PARK
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2009-01-01
End Date : 2009-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT BURGHLEY PARK
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2012-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31