HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Blacknor Battery

Hob Uid: 868633
Location :
Dorset
Weymouth And Portland
Portland
Grid Ref : SY6792507162
Summary : Blacknor Battery was built as part of Portland's coastal defences. It was constructed from 1900 to 1902 and armed with two 6-inch breech-loading (BL) Mk. VII guns for close defence. The 6-inch guns were removed between 1908-1909 and replaced by two 9.2-inch BL Mk. X guns. These were in use during the First World War and up until 1944. During the Second World War the battery was manned by 103 Battery of 522 Coast Regiment and performed a long-range night role. By 1954 the battery was disarmed and used for storage. The main battery building remains in good condition, as does two gun emplacements. The base for the coast artillery searchlights also survive.
More information : (SY 6790 7160. Battery sited from OS 1:2500 1975)

Originally intended as the battery defending the western end of a ditch extending west-east across the island to Durdle Point, Blacknor was intended to cover the West Bay area preventing bombardment of Verne Fort and the Harbour from the sea. Durdle Battery was not built, but Blacknor was, and was provided with 9" RML guns in the 1870s, and was rearmed with 6" BL in the 1890s. It remained in commission until WWII. (1)

Aerial photograph of the battery. (2)

Coastal Fort. Rebuilt to protect the waters off West Bay in 1901 (incised date). A two gun battery initially of 9.2in RML guns replaced by 6in BL guns. Battery Observation Post (SY 6785 7151). Manned during WWII. Now in private hands. Blacknor Fort was also known as St. George's Fort. No.1 Gun coastal battery. Main battery building (19th century) remains in good condition. Two gun emplacements are visible and in good condition. Base for CASL remains. [information from 1968 aerial photographs]. (3)

Blacknor Battery located at SY 679 716. The battery was constructed from 1900 and opened in 1902 armed with two 6-inch breech-loading (BL) Mk. VII guns for close defence. The 6-inch guns were removed between 1908-1909 and replaced by two 9.2-inch BL Mk. X guns. These were in use during the First World War and up until 1944, when they had been performing a long-range night role. During the Second World War it was manned by 103 Battery of 522 Coast Regiment. By 1954 the battery was disarmed and used for storage.
No. 1 gun was located at SY 6795 7155 and No. 2 gun at SY 6790 7150. The battery observation post was at SY 6785 7145. (4-5)

The main battery building (originally 19th century) remains in good condition. Two emplacements are also visible and in good condition. Base for the coast artillery searchlights remains. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Coastal Defences of Eng & Wales 1974 229-230 (I V Hogg)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Industrial History from the Air 1984 13 plate 9 (K Hudson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Migrated Defence of Britain Project database record originally compiled from various sources
Source details : The two databases developed by the Project can be searched on-line through the Archaeology Data Service at http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/specColl/dob/index.cfm
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Twentieth century fortifications in England. Volume 6.1. Coast Artillery, 1900-1956
Source details :
Page(s) : 176-181
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 6.1
Source Number : 5
Source : Twentieth century fortifications in England. Volume 6.2. Coast Artillery, 1900-1956
Source details :
Page(s) : 271
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 6.2
Source Number : 6
Source : Twentieth century military recording project: World War Two Coastal Batteries
Source details :
Page(s) : 68
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1870s
Monument End Date : 1879
Monument Start Date : 1870
Monument Type : Coastal Battery
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Additions of 1890s
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1890
Monument Type : Coastal Battery
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : First World War
Display Date : First World War
Monument End Date : 1918
Monument Start Date : 1914
Monument Type : Coastal Battery
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Second World War
Monument End Date : 1945
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : Coastal Battery, Coast Artillery Searchlight
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : DoB Anti Invasion Database UID
External Cross Reference Number : S0011256
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SY 67 SE 64
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : THE DEFENCE OF BRITAIN PROJECT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-04-01
End Date : 2002-03-01
Associated Activities : LANDSCAPES OF WAR RECORDING PROJECT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 2008-01-01
End Date : 2009-12-31