HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1389782

Hob Uid: 1389782
Location :
Warwickshire
Warwick
Kenilworth
Grid Ref : SP2830072100
Summary : The earthwork and buried remains of a number of features situated within the Abbey Fields and associated with the abbey precinct. The Finham Brook runs through the site and immediately to the south of it are a number of earthworks, including building platforms and the remains of a curving ditch or leat. Excavation in 1989 revealed the foundations of at least three sandstone buildings and a number of external floor surfaces, hearths and drains. These have been dated to between the 12th and 15th centuries. Investigations have not so far confirmed the location of the priory mill, but documentary sources record its existence from the 12th century until the 18th century and is it marked on early OS maps. The stone abutments of a packhorse bridge survive in the bank of the brook adjacent to the mill site. South west of the brook lies a linear earthwork, comprising a double ditch and bank, believed to be a causewayed road. Traces of medieval ridge and furrow cultivation survive as cropmarks towards the southern part of the site and the remains of a medieval water conduit were discovered to the north west in 2000. A section of the precinct wall survives as a standing feature in the north eastern angle of the precinct, acting as the southern property wall of a number of cottages. Excavations to the west showed that there were two phases of wall running parallel with a later 16th century wall.
More information : SP 283721. The earthwork and buried remains of a number of features situated within the Abbey Fields and associated with the abbey precinct. The Finham Brook runs through the site and immediately to the south of it are a number of earthworks, including building platforms and the remains of a curving ditch or leat. Excavation in 1989 revealed the foundations of at least three sandstone buildings and a number of external floor surfaces, hearths and drains. These have been dated to between the 12th and 15th centuries. Investigations have not so far confirmed the location of the priory mill, but documentary sources record its existence from the 12th century until the 18th century and is it marked on early OS maps. The stone abutments of a packhorse bridge survive in the bank of the brook adjacent to the mill site. South west of the brook lies a linear earthwork, comprising a double ditch and bank, believed to be a causewayed road. Traces of medieval ridge and furrow cultivation survive as cropmarks towards the southern part of the site and the remains of a medieval water conduit were discovered to the north west in 2000. A section of the precinct wall survives as a standing feature in the north eastern angle of the precinct, acting as the southern property wall of a number of cottages. Excavations to the west showed that there were two phases of wall running parallel with a later 16th century wall. Scheduled. (1)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : EH Scheduling amendment, 08-SEP-2003
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Road, Causeway, Bank (Earthwork), Ditch, Ridge And Furrow, Conduit
Evidence : Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C12-C15
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Building Platform, Ditch, Leat, Building, Floor, Hearth, Drain
Evidence : Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : After 1122
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1122
Monument Type : Precinct Wall
Evidence : Structure, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 35115
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 27 SE 65
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :