HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Ewood Park

Hob Uid: 887115
Location :
Blackburn with Darwen
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SD6781925908
Summary : Ewood Park has been the home of Blackburn Rovers since 1890. However, the Ewood Park of today is unrecognisable from the ground of that era. In 1890 the main stand backed onto the River Darwen, with two separate smaller stands on the Nuttall Street side. Apart from the terraced houses on Nuttall Street and Kidder Street (behind the North End), the approaches from Bolton Road and the south were completely open. In 1905, the textile baron Laurence Cotton became chairman and set about overhauling both team and ground. In 1906, construction started on a new main stand seating 4,112 on its upper tier with a paddock for 9,320 infront. Cranked at one end to follow the angle of Nuttall Street, it was a standard design from the pattern book of Archibald Leitch. The stand opened on New Years Day, 1907. The following summer the Darwen End was concreted. Two league championships in 1912 and 1914, along with three good cup runs, helped to finance a third stand on the River Darwen side. Constructed to another of Leitch's standard designs it was completed in 1913 with 2,944 seats and a large new terrace infront. Apart from the concreting of the Blackburn End in 1928, few changes occured to Ewood Park until a new cantilevered concrete roof was put over this terrace in 1960. In the subsequent years, coupled with a decline in the teams fortunes, Ewood Park fell into decline which was capped off with an arson attack on the Nuttall Street stand in 1984. In 1988, fortunes took a turn for the better with the development of the Walkersteel Stand on the River Darwen side. In 1991 Jack Walker bought 62% of the club and, as Laurence Cotton before him, set about overhauling the ailing club. In December 1991 plans were unveiled for a new all-seater stadium by the architects Atherden and Fuller. Between October 1992 and November 1994 Ewood Park was substantially redeveloped with three new two-tier stands built at the Blackburn and Darwen Ends and at the Nuttall Street side.
More information : [SD 67822590] Ewood Park (Football Ground) [NAT] (1)

Home of Blackburn Rovers FC since 1890. The major improvements of
1906 are all still visible, including the main Nuttall Street stand
designed by Archibald Leitch, a contemporary of his (listed) stand at
Craven Cottage. The oak-panelled boardroom in the Nuttall Street
stand is a unique northern feature. (2)

Ewood Park has been the home of Blackburn Rovers since 1890. However, the Ewood Park of today is unrecognisable from the ground of that era. In 1890 the main stand backed onto the River Darwen, with two separate smaller stands on the Nuttall Street side. Apart from the terraced houses on Nuttall Street and Kidder Street (behind the North End), the approaches from Bolton Road and the south were completely open. In 1905, the textile baron Laurence Cotton became chairman and set about overhauling both team and ground. In 1906, construction started on a new main stand seating 4,112 on its upper tier with a paddock for 9,320 infront. Cranked at one end to follow the angle of Nuttall Street, it was a standard design from the pattern book of Archibald Leitch. The stand opened on New Years Day, 1907. The following summer the Darwen End was concreted. Two league championships in 1912 and 1914, along with three good cup runs, helped to finance a third stand on the River Darwen side. Constructed to another of Leitch's standard designs it was completed in 1913 with 2,944 seats and a large new terrace infront. Apart from the concreting of the Blackburn End in 1928, few changes occured to Ewood Park until a new cantilevered concrete roof was put over this terrace in 1960. In the subsequent years, coupled with a decline in the teams fortunes, Ewood Park fell into decline which was capped off with an arson attack on the Nuttall Street stand in 1984. In 1988, fortunes took a turn for the better with the development of the Walkersteel Stand on the River Darwen side. In 1991 Jack Walker bought 62% of the club and, as Laurence Cotton before him, set about overhauling the ailing club. In December 1991 plans were unveiled for a new all-seater stadium by the architects Atherden and Fuller. Between October 1992 and November 1994 Ewood Park was substantially redeveloped with three new two-tier stands built at the Blackburn and Darwen Ends and at the Nuttall Street side. [1-7]

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10000 1982
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Inglis S. 1991. The Football Grounds of Great Britain, 72-4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Football grounds of Britain
Source details :
Page(s) : 49-55
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : 58/B/58 5293 29-JUL-1948 MOD
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Engineering Archie : Archibald Leitch - football ground designer
Source details : http://www.playedinbritain.co.uk/books/engineering-archie.php
Page(s) : 90-93
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:2500, 2007
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : First official game 13 Sep 1890
Monument End Date : 1890
Monument Start Date : 1890
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : Major improvements in 1906
Monument End Date : 1906
Monument Start Date : 1906
Monument Type : Grandstand, Football Ground
Evidence : Destroyed Monument, Extant Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : Built between 1912-1913
Monument End Date : 1913
Monument Start Date : 1912
Monument Type : Grandstand, Football Ground
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : Terrace concreted in 1928
Monument End Date : 1928
Monument Start Date : 1928
Monument Type : Football Terrace, Football Ground
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Terrace roofed in 1960
Monument End Date : 1960
Monument Start Date : 1960
Monument Type : Football Terrace, Football Ground
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence, Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Arson attack in 1984
Monument End Date : 1984
Monument Start Date : 1984
Monument Type : Grandstand, Football Ground
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Built in 1988
Monument End Date : 1988
Monument Start Date : 1988
Monument Type : Grandstand, Football Ground
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Redeveloped Oct 1992 to Nov 1994
Monument End Date : 1994
Monument Start Date : 1992
Monument Type : Grandstand, Football Ground
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 96913
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 62 NE 31
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14