HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Edgeley Park

Hob Uid: 890902
Location :
Stockport
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SJ8902089210
Summary : Stockport County, who started off life as Heaton Norris Rovers in 1883, moved to Edgeley Park in 1902, when, at this time, it was the home of a rugby club. In 1903 the rugby club folded, leaving County as sole tenants. That same summer a roof was erected at the rear of the Popular Side. Ten years later a new Main Stand went up on the Hardcastle Road side, and ten years after that, in 1923, a wooden cover was built at the Cheadle End. At midday on 23 july 1935 a fire broke out in the Main Stand, so intense that not only was the structure reduced to a 'violent twisted' wreck, but twelve houses on the other side of Hardcastle Road were also gutted. A replacement 2,000 seat Main Stand was built in the year after and opened by the League President, Charles Sutcliffe on 24 October 1936. There were two developments in 1956. A sloping roof was added over the Popular Side (linked to the pre-war barrel-roof at the rear) and the terrace dedicated to County's late chairman, Ernest Barlow. Floodlights were also erected, first used in October 1956. In 1978 the back of the Barlow Stand was fenced off, the old barrel roof taken down and a five-a-side pitch laid out on the levelled area. There would be even more drastic cuts when the ground became designated under the Safety of Sports Grounds Act in 1985. First, the demolition of the Cheadle End Stand was ordered. From then until 1995, only a strip of flat ground lay behind the goal. Also in 1985, the open Railway End was cut down to a third of its original height. The terrace's timber nosings were also concreted over and the Main Stand paddock closed in. In 1993 the Barlow Stand had 2,411 seats installed on reprofiled terracing and in 1995 the Cheadle End Stand was constructed with 4,800 seats.
More information : [SJ 89048920] Football ground [NAT] (1)

Edgeley Park. Home of Stockport County F C since 1901. The 1920s
Cheadle End stand was designated unsafe and demolished in 1985. (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10000 1978
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Inglis S. 1991. The Football Grounds of Great Britain, 65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Football grounds of Britain
Source details :
Page(s) : 344-45
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 1902
Monument End Date : 1902
Monument Start Date : 1902
Monument Type : Football Ground
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 1903
Monument End Date : 1903
Monument Start Date : 1903
Monument Type : Football Ground, Football Terrace
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Built in 1995
Monument End Date : 1995
Monument Start Date : 1995
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Built in 1913
Monument End Date : 1913
Monument Start Date : 1913
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Built in 1923
Monument End Date : 1923
Monument Start Date : 1923
Monument Type : Football Ground, Football Terrace
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Destroyed by fire in 1935
Monument End Date : 1935
Monument Start Date : 1935
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Built in 1936
Monument End Date : 1936
Monument Start Date : 1936
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 1956
Monument End Date : 1956
Monument Start Date : 1956
Monument Type : Football Ground, Football Terrace
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 1978
Monument End Date : 1978
Monument Start Date : 1978
Monument Type : Football Ground, Football Terrace
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 1985
Monument End Date : 1985
Monument Start Date : 1985
Monument Type : Football Ground, Football Terrace, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Built in 1993
Monument End Date : 1993
Monument Start Date : 1993
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SJ 88 NE 23
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :