HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hammersmith And City Line

Hob Uid: 1310427
Location :
Greater London Authority
Hammersmith And Fulham
Grid Ref : TQ2489081760
Summary : The Hammersmith and City Railway was opened in 1864 by the Great Western Railway. It ran from Green Lane Junction (later Westbourne Park) via Shepherd's Bush to Hammersmith, with a connection from Latimer Road to the West London Railway, 3 miles in all. Built mostly on viaduct, it traversed some land that had been bought by Charles Blake and John Parson, directors of the company, who made a handsome profit reselling it to the railway. The line was mixed-gague until 1868-9. It became joint property of the Great Western and Metropolitan Railways in 1867. Both owners provided services with their own trains until electrification in 1906-7 using jointly owned rolling stock. Trains were projected in stages over the Inner Circle and finally over the East London Line to New Cross (South Eastern Railway). Through electric working between Hammersmith and New Cross began in 1914 but was discontinued in 1941. The original HCR was transferred to London transport in 1948, and tracks from Westbourne Park to Paddington in 1970. London Transport's 'Hammersmith and City Line' now denotes a composite of the original HCR, part of the Circle, and an eastern terminus at Whitechapel, with a peak-hour extension to Barking (District Line).
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : The Oxford companion to British railway history from 1603 to the 1990s
Source details :
Page(s) : 296
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Lee CE. 1972. The Metropolitan Line
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Lee CE. 1976. The East London Line and the Thames Tunnel
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Jackson AA. 1986. London's Metropolitan Railway
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Opened in 1864
Monument End Date : 1864
Monument Start Date : 1864
Monument Type : Railway
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1867
Monument End Date : 1867
Monument Start Date : 1867
Monument Type : Underground Railway
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : LINEAR 572
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1311724
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1311732
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1310919
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 509616
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1314035
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 509509
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1379743
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 509580
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 509473
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1378569
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 509411
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1377039
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 509504
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 509566
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 509511
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 509409
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1378963
Relationship type :

Related Activities :