HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Chapel Of St Mary

Hob Uid: 1106494
Location :
Warwickshire
Warwick
Kenilworth
Grid Ref : SP2794272272
Summary : To the west of the stables within the outer bailey at Kenilworth Castle are the foundations of a chapel erected by Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, to serve as a chantry or collegiate church. Documentary evidence indicates that it was built between 1314 and 1322 by master mason Richard de Thwaites. Thomas planned his foundation for 13 secular priests, as a fashionable display of piety. However, he died before establishing the college, and there are no further documentary sources referring to it. It was one of the largest private chapels of its time, measuring approximately 14 metres high, and at least 30 metres long. The west end is now buried under a later bank. The interior is likely to have been similar to that of The Lady Chapel of Lichfield built during the same period. Both had a polygonal apse beyond the altar.It was possibly demolished in circa 1524, and its foundations reused for a timber-framed building brought from the Pleasance in the Marsh (Henry V's manor house). This was probably then subsequently removed by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester. Fragments of the apse and a reset sedilia (seating for the priests at mass) survive.
More information : Scheduled. Immediately to the west of the stables are the foundations of a building which has been identified as the remains of a second chapel erected by Thomas, Earl of Lancaster in 1313 to serve as a chantry or collegiate church. Documentary evidence indicates that it was more or less completed by 1318, but a chantry was never founded. (1)

To the west of the stables at Kenilworth Castle are the foundations of a building which have been identified as the remains of a second chapel erected by Thomas, Earl of Lancaster in 1313 to serve as a chantry or collegiate church. Documentary evidence indicates that it was more or less completed by 1318. (2)

Registered Park & Garden. (3)

New revised guidebook. To the west of the stables within the outer bailey at Kenilworth Castle are the foundations of a chapel erected by Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, to serve as a chantry or collegiate church. Documentary evidence indicates that it was built between 1314 and 1322 by master mason Richard de Thwaites. Thomas planned his foundation for 13 secular priests, as a fashionable display of piety. However, he died before establishing the college, and there are no further documentary sources referring to it.
It was one of the largest private chapels of its time, measuring approximately 14 metres high, and at least 30 metres long. The west end is now buried under a later bank. The interior is likely to have been similar to that of The Lady Chapel of Lichfield built during the same period. Both had a polygonal apse beyond the altar.
It was possibly demolished in circa 1524, and its foundations reused for a timber-framed building brought from the Pleasance in the Marsh (Henry V's manor house). This was probably then subsequently removed by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester. Fragments of the apse and a reset sedilia (seating for the priests at mass) survive. (4)



Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 04-Jan-96
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Kenilworth Castle [guide]
Source details :
Page(s) : 9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Warwickshire
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 42
Source Number : 4
Source : Kenilworth Castle (English Heritage Guidebooks)
Source details :
Page(s) : 29
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : WA 1
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 21576
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Warwickshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 5382
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 27 SE 47
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :