HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hill Road

Hob Uid: 1102269
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Selworthy, Minehead Without, Minehead
Grid Ref : SS9363047290
Summary : SS 9564 4718 Two Second World War military roads, visible as structures, were mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946. Located on Minehead's North Hill, the roads are associated with the extensive military training area and tank firing range that covered North Hill during the war. The main road, now named Hill Road, runs roughly NW-SE for about 1600 metres long and was constructed from concrete by the military to provide the main access, connecting via Moor Road, for tanks and other vehicles from their disembarkation point at Minehead railway station, through the town to the training site, marshalling area and Selworthy Beacon. On North Hill, a second unsealed road branches off the concrete road opposite Whitecross Plantation and runs parallel to it for about 1000 metres before rejoining it at the W end of Moor Wood. This road may have provided a means of controlling military traffic to and from the firing range and also provided access to a wartime army camp, near Camp Reservoir. The roads are still extant in 1993. It remains in good condition and forms the main route along North Hill to Selworthy Beacon. Mounds of soil are visible on the southern side of the road which are dumps of overburden bulldozed as part of the construction process.
More information : A concrete road was constructed on North Hill by the army during WW2. The road is in good condition and now forms the main route along North Hill to Selworthy Beacon. It runs from SS 9106 4767 to SS 9631 4668. At the head of Woodcombe (SS 9455 4743) substantial mounds of soil are visible on the southern side of the road; these are dumps of overburden bulldozed to one side as part of the construction process of the road.
The road was presumably used by the military to gain access to the tank training area at the western end of North Hill (see SS 94 NW 64).
Recorded as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. (1-3)

The road referred to above (1-2) is visible on aerial photographs. (4)

SS 9564 4718 Two Second World War military roads, visible as structures, were mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946. Located on Minehead's North Hill, the roads are associated with the extensive military training area and tank firing range that covered North Hill during the war. The main road, now named Hill Road, runs roughly NW-SE for about 1600 metres long (SS 9500 4760 to SS 9631 4761), between 5.5 and 7 metres wide and was constructed from concrete by the military to provide the main access, connecting via Moor Road, for tanks and other vehicles from their disembarkation point at Minehead railway station, through the town to the training site, marshalling area and Selworthy Beacon. On North Hill, a second unsealed road, about 4.5 to 7 metres wide, branches off the concrete road opposite Whitecross Plantation and runs parallel to it for about 1000 metres before rejoining it at the W end of Moor Wood. This road may have provided a means of controlling military traffic to and from the firing range and also provided access to a wartime army camp, near Camp Reservoir. The roads are still extant in 1993. (4-6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : R Wilson-North 13 Nov 1997 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The field archaeology of North Hill : an archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park Holding by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Field Archaeology of North Hill
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF 106G/UK/1655 3007-3017 11-JUL-1946
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF 106G/UK/1655 3109-3110 11-JUL-1946
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR/OS 93297 038-039 16-AUG-1993
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Constructed during World War II
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Road, Military Road, Military Training Site, Firing Range
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 35662
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 94 NW 96
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1102198
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1102386
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1124911
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, GLOUCESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL: SEVERN ESTUARY NMP, RAPID COASTAL ZONE ASSESSMENT SURVEY
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2006-04-10
End Date : 2008-11-01