HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Church Of St Mary The Less

Hob Uid: 371412
Location :
Cambridgeshire
Cambridge
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TL4485357997
Summary : Church Of St Mary The Less, originating in the Late Saxon period. Undivided nave and chancel with North-West tower incorporated into western vestry; South porch, South chapel, two storey South vestry with an ossuary below it, and gallery stairs to adjacent Peterhouse College. Attached parish room to West. Only a reset fragment of interlace ornament survives from that period. Part of the West tower is 12th century. The church was almost entirely rebuilt 1340-52 to serve as the chapel for Peterhouse college, and it was attached to the college by a gallery stair. Altered in the 15th century, a chantry chapel was added on the North in 1443 for Thomas Lane, Master of Peterhouse; the South porch was added in the mid 15th century by John Leedes, died1455, bursar of Peterhouse; the vestry was rebuilt and partially converted to a chantry chapel for John Warkworth circa 1487; and a chantry was added on the South side in the early 16th century for Henry Horneby, another Master of Peterhouse. The church was refitted in 1741. The tower, standing in the mid 18th century fell or was demolished before the mid 19th century. The church was restored in 1856-7 by Gilbert Scott, and again in 1876 and 1891. The 1876 work probably included rebuilding the roof in steeply pitched form. The parish room and lower part of a new tower were built in 1892, and the South chapel was built in 1931 to designs by T H Lyon. There were further repairs in the 20th century.
More information : [TL 44865799] CHURCH OF ST. MARY THE LESS. [T.U.] (Vic). (1)

The Church of St. Mary the Less is of pre-Conquest foundation, as evidenced by the survival of late Anglo-Saxon fragments of interlacement. Traces of 12th. Century work can be seen in the west tower: the rest of the church is mid. 14th. cent. "Especially worth of preservation." Reset in the south wall of the parish room are two stone fragments with late pre-conquest carving. (2)

Alternate names are Little St. Mary's Church. It was originally called St. Peter-without-Trumpington-Gate. (3)

Also known as St Mary the Grace. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : O.S." 25", 1927
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in the City of Cambridge [in two parts]
Source details :
Page(s) : 280-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : English Heritage Alternative Action Report
Source details : English Heritage Registry File HB/ 000002/0078 Gardens Register Cemeteries Project Site Details
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : The British Academy and Ron Baxter. 2003. The Corpuse of Romanesque Sculpture in Britain and Ireland. The British Academy and Ron Baxter. [Accessed 09-SEP-2005]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Late Saxon
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 871
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Architectural Component
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C12
Monument End Date : 1200
Monument Start Date : 1101
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Largely rebuilt as a college chapel
Monument End Date : 1352
Monument Start Date : 1340
Monument Type : Collegiate Chapel, Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C15 alterations
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1401
Monument Type : Chapel, Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Added 1453
Monument End Date : 1443
Monument Start Date : 1443
Monument Type : Chantry Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Purely parochial from 1632
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1632
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Tower demolished by mid century
Monument End Date : 1833
Monument Start Date : 1833
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored 1856-57
Monument End Date : 1857
Monument Start Date : 1856
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored 1876
Monument End Date : 1876
Monument Start Date : 1876
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored 1891
Monument End Date : 1891
Monument Start Date : 1891
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 47871
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1051677
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 45 NW 42
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1433357
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 371420
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1433357
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ST MARY THE LESS, TRUMPINGTON STREET (CAM L 90)
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1990-01-01
End Date : 1990-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ST MARY-THE-LESS CHURCH, TRUMPINGTON STREET
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1990-01-01
End Date : 1990-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LITTLE ST. MARY'S CHURCH
Activity type : DESK BASED ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 2009-01-01
End Date : 2009-12-31