HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Royal Mint

Hob Uid: 1109492
Location :
Greater London Authority
Tower Hamlets
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3350080500
Summary : The Royal Mint at the Tower of London is first referred to in the Pipe Roll of 1279-81 which records the expenditure at the Tower for buildings and equipment. There is no reference to a specific location although it has been suggested that it may have been in the vicinity of the Lion Tower. By 1300 the number of furnaces had increased to 30 for which the Mint Warden was ordered to construct a building in the Outer Ward, thus instigating the beginning of 50 years of coin production at the Tower. Evidence of the early Tudor Mint comes from archaeological evidence at Legge's Mount including a vaulted cellar, furnaces, hearths, ash pit, culvert and a large collection of metalworking finds. It is believed that this area was disused by 1560 as there are records of the Upper Mint, a building of brick and timber being constructed at the southern end of the Outer Ward near the Salt Tower. By 1585-6 the Mint Office was located to the north of the Byward Tower. Surviving remains of the Mint are between Legge's Mount and the Byward Tower in the form of a range of late 18th century buildings and was the last site of production before the Mint was moved to Tower Hill in 1812. These buildings were subsequently used as storage facilities by the Ordnance Office.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : English Heritage book of the Tower of London
Source details :
Page(s) : 43,59-61,89-90
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : First mentioned 1279
Monument End Date : 1279
Monument Start Date : 1279
Monument Type : Mint
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt 1300
Monument End Date : 1300
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Mint
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt 1560-62
Monument End Date : 1562
Monument Start Date : 1560
Monument Type : Mint
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1585-6
Monument End Date : 1586
Monument Start Date : 1585
Monument Type : Mint
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built late C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1767
Monument Type : Mint, Office, Assay Office, Coal Bunker
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 38 SW 1568
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :