HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Garendon Abbey

Hob Uid: 919643
Location :
Leicestershire
Charnwood
Stonebow Village
Grid Ref : SK5012019890
Summary : A Cistercian Abbey, a branch of the mother house of Waverley, was founded at Garendon in 1133 by Robert Bossu, Earl of Leicester. In 1535 the large monastery was part ruinous. At the dissolution, the following year, the Abbey church was totally demolished and the Abbey lapsed into complete ruin. Garendon Hall was built on the site by a grandson of Sir Ambrose Phillips from an Italian design in the early 18th. century. The Phillips family were still residents in 1926. Pevsner described the house as Palladian, having eleven bays and a large portico. Behind the house to the north was a range of seven bays, facing east,which he suggested may be of the late 17th century. The house was demolished in 1964. Excavations have located part of the abbey layout, including the chapter house, dorter undercroft and a drain.
More information : [SK 5012 1989] Garendon Hall [T.I.] On site of Garendon Abbey [N.R.] (Cistercian Founded A.D. 1133) (1)

A Cistercian Abbey, a branch of the mother house of Waverley, was founded at Garendon 28.10.1133, by Robert Bossu, Earl of Leicester. In 1535 the large monastery was part ruinous. At the dissolution, the following year, the Abbey church was totally demolished and the Abbey lapsed into complete ruin. The present house on the site was built by a grandson of Sir Ambrose Phillips from an Italian design in the early 18th. century. The Phillips family were still residents in 1926. Pevsner describes the house as Palladian, having eleven bays and a large portico. Behind the house to the north is a range of seven bays, facing east,which he suggests may be of the late 17th. century. (2-9)

Garendon Hall is as described by Pevsner (authy.2d) The owner Mr. March Phillips de Lille, indicated former Abbey walling in the cellars of the present house, and an original monastic drain discovered during farming operations "some years ago" (Surveyed at SK 5016 1987) Surveyed 14th/15th Nov. 1960. See Gps: AO/60/310/2: 17th.c. wing from NW. and AO/60/310/3: South front from SSW. (10)

During the demolition of Garendon Hall in July 1964 excavations were conducted by B C J Williams for the Loughborough Archaeol Soc on the east side of the Hall to establish Garendon Abbey. Foundations of a building were located which by comparison with Waverley Abbey, the mother house, were thought to be the undercroft and monks dorter
range. (11-12)

Further excavations in 1967-8 uncovered the foundations of the eastern apse of the Chapter House. Small finds include 13th and 14th cent.floor tiles. (13)

There are no remains of the Hall and the earthworks have almost been destroyed. Published survey 25" revised. (14)

SK 5014 1988; SK 5026 1979. Cistercian abbey and mansion, with fishpond and mound at Garendon. Two features of the abbey can be seen today, the exposed remains of the chapter house and a section of drain, the top of which is at the present ground level. An area to the south-east contains an oval-shaped prospect mound measuring 25m x 15m and 3m high with a shallow ditch on its south-eastern side. The mound formed part of the formal garden laid out in the construction of the mansion in the 17th century. To the east is a fishpond, originally belonging to the abbey but adapted as a17th century garden feature. The fishpond measures 140 x 12m at its widest point, narrowing to 4m wide at its eastern end. (15)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" Prov. Edition 1955
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 109
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 62-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 43, 1967-8
Source Number : 12
Source : Bulletin of the Loughborough and District Archaeological Society
Source details : Williams B C J
Page(s) : Feb-14
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 8, 1965
Source Number : 13
Source : Bulletin of the Loughborough and District Archaeological Society
Source details : Williams B C J
Page(s) : 17-26
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 10, 1969
Source Number : 14
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 JB 04-AUG-1972
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 15
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : English Heritage SAM Amendment Leicestershire 05-FEB-1993
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 16
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Leicestershire
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 26
Source Number : 17
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 120
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Tanner's Notitia Monastica, 1787, Leic. IX (J. Nasmith)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Leicester, volume one
Source details :
Page(s) : 272
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Leicestershire and Rutland
Source details :
Page(s) : 106
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hadfield C N. 1952. Charnwood Forest, 53-4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Nicols J. 1804. History and Antiquities of Leicestershire Vol 3, 797
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 81
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 24, 1958
Source Number : 9
Source : Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details : Farnham G F
Page(s) : 281
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 15, 1927-28
Source Number : 10
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 29-NOV-1960
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1133
Monument Type : Cistercian Monastery, Abbey, Refectory, Drain, Chapter House
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed late C17/early C18
Monument End Date : 1732
Monument Start Date : 1667
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled 1864-66
Monument End Date : 1866
Monument Start Date : 1864
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Demolished 1964
Monument End Date : 1964
Monument Start Date : 1964
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Demolished Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 17099
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 51 NW 25
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 317403
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 317319
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 404560
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 317493
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1120574
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1120624
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1121100
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 948823
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 51 NW 25
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1960-11-29
End Date : 1960-11-29
Associated Activities : Primary, GARENDON ABBEY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1964-01-01
End Date : 1971-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 51 NW 25
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1972-08-04
End Date : 1972-08-04
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: NATIONAL FOREST PROJECT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 1992-08-19
End Date : 1995-03-31