HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Ulverscroft Priory

Hob Uid: 919968
Location :
Leicestershire
Charnwood
Ulverscroft
Grid Ref : SK5006212727
Summary : Founded in 1139 as a hermitage for the Eremites of the order of St Augustine, it became an Augustinian Monastery before 1174 by papal order and was dissolved in 1539. Ulverscroft Priory includes the ruined priory buildings, three arms of a moat and three fishponds. The visible remains date from the 13th century with the greater part dating from the 14th-15th centuries. The ruined priory church (see also SK 51 SW 17) retains considerable remains of the 15th century tower, nave and north aisle walls. The cloister to the south is enclosed on three sides by the remains of granite walled buildings; on the west side is a building interpreted as a guest house (See also SK 51 SW 18), and on the south side a 13th century refectory (See SK 51 SW 19) and prior's lodging house (see SK 51 SW 20). The earthworks of moat and fishponds associated with the ruins (see SK 51 SW 16 and 49)
More information : [SK 50091271] Ulverscroft Priory [GT] (Austin Eremites founded A.D. 1134.) Church [GT] (Remains of) Moat [GT]. (1)

Ulverscroft. House of Canons Regular, Augustinian, which existed until AD 1500. Remains of importance. (2)

Ulverscroft Priory was founded by Robert Bossu, 2nd Earl of Leicester in 1134 as a small priory for Eremites of the order of St. Augustine. 1465. Priories of Ulverscroft and Chanley united. 1534. Suppression of the smaller monasteries; Ulverscroft included, but afterwards reprieved temporarily. 1539. Ulverscroft surrendered by Prior Dally and 7 monks. 1543. Priory and adjoining lands granted to Thomas, 1st. Earl of Rutland. The arrangement of the buildings follows the monastic plan peculiar to this order. The priory in 1134 was probably built of wood, and 13th and 14th century buildings are mainly of Charnwood Forest Stone. The early 14th century floor tiles are an important discovery. (4-6)

Many of the remains of the Priory are now incorporated in farm buildings. See plan taken from OS 1:2500 Leics 24.7 (7)

Ulverscroft. Augustinian Priory of St Mary founded some time before 1174 by Papal imposition of Augustinian rule on an already existing house of 3 independent Hermits (founded 1134). It was still called a hermitage, and still had only 3 priest brothers in
1220, but by 1438 there were 8 canons. The Priory survived the suppression of the lesser monasteries in 1536 by payment of a fine, and was finally surrendered on 15/9/1539. (8)

No change. (9)

Ulverscroft Priory Ruins and Priory Farmhouse and Outbuildings.
Ruins of church of C13 and later together with house and outbuildings of C13 and later. Granite and slate rubble stone with some red brick walling and dressings and Swithland slate and corrugated roofs. Parts of the Priory buildings and the Prior's lodging are now the farmhouse and many of the medieval portions are incorporated in later farm buildings or are other Priory buildings used as farm buildings. The house forms part of one side of a quadrangle on the S. side of the church ruins. The quadrangle is largely of farm buildings some being lean-to against the S. wall of the church, those on the W. side being converted from monastic buildings. The ruins of the church consist of C14 W. tower of 3 stages with ashlar quoins, 4 bell openings and remains of 2 clasping buttresses. Large W. window frame. There are low fragmentary remains of the N. side of the nave, N. aisle and chancel with fragments of medieval tiles in the N.E. of the chancel. Part remains of the C13 nave S. wall with the lower courses of the clerestory windows and S. door. 2 partly blocked C14 chancel windows remain with carved quatrefoils in blank frieze on jambs and fragments of tracery. There are the remains also of the Sedilia and Piscina niches. To S. of tower a range of 2 barns, the first of 2 bays with single purlin roof and central truss, the second, the C13 guest house of 4 bays with double purlin roof, 1 truss with arched braces to collar, others with tie beams, and some curved wind braces. Blocked window frame with hood mould and label stops to rear. Close studding in N. end gable. To S. of this barn the walling of C15 refectory with 2 window frames and fragments of tracery. To E. of this a gateway, buttress and then the house enclosing the C13 and C15 parlour with Prior's lodging over. The front of this faces S: large gable to left projecting forwards with C19 gable of brick with Swithland slate roof. Various ridge, side and end stacks. 3 storeys of 3 windows. 2-light casements with cambered lintels on 2nd floor. On 1st floor a blocked 2-light stone mullion window either side a similar 3-light window with cusped heads and brick lintel. Below a doorway to left with cambered lintel, wooden frame and door. In the centre a 4-light mullion window with cusped heads and heavy central jamb. To extreme left and right a buttress with set-offs. On gables return a part stone, part brick projecting stack in angle. In section to right a 2nd floor 3-light casement and ground floor blocked door. Extending from right end a lower wing, probably C18, with right end of roof hipped and central ridge stack. 2 storeys of 2 2-light casements with 3-light and 2-light to ground floor. Cambered lintels. On right end a C20 glazed door and window in single frame with 2-light over. Chamfered beams inside. The rear facing the quadrangle has mainly C19 2 and 3-light casements and doors with a stone pointed arch window on centre right 1st floor. Inside on ground floor the former parlour with moulded ceiling beams, and C15 stone fireplace with Tudor arch and carved spandrels. Remains of close studding, blocked doorways. To N.E. of house a 1 storey outbuilding of rubble stone with brick dressings and corrugated roof. Door and 3 bull's eye windows. Similar range of outbuildings leans onto S. wall of church. This priory of the Augustinian Order was founded in the Reign of Henry, II by Robert Earl of Leicester. It became a house of Austin Canons in reign of Edward II and provided an important lodging post for travellers. Dissolved in 1539. 'This most conspicuous monastic ruin in Leicestershire' (Pevsner) is set in a valley of meadows, and the remains extensive and impressive. Scheduled ancient monument. (10)

SK 5006 1270. Ulverscroft Priory includes the ruined priory buildings, three arms of a moat and three fishponds. The visible remains date from the 13th century with the greater part dating from the 14th-15th centuries. The ruined priory church (see also SK 51 SW 17) retains considerable remains of the 15th century tower, nave and north aisle walls. The cloister to the south is enclosed on three sides by the remains of granite walled buildings; on the west side is a building interpreted as a guest house (See also SK 51 SW 18), and on the south side a 13th century refectory (See SK 51 SW 19) and prior's lodging house (see SK 51 SW 20). The earthworks of moat and fishponds associated with the ruins (see SK 51 SW 16 and 49) (11)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1931
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : OS Monastic Britain (south Sheet)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE Listed Buildings Borough of Charnwood Leics Mar 1984 79
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : English Heritage SAM Amendment 13-JAN-1993
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 88-92
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 18, 1934-5
Source Number : 4
Source : Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 119-20
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 9, 1904-5
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : G.F.Farnham Leicestershire Md Village Notes Vol VI (1933)
Page(s) : 346-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 223-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 15, 1927-8
Source Number : 6
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Medieval Religious Houses 1971 144 177 (Knowles & Hadcock)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : R L B Work/02-JUL-1953/Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigator
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 144,177
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : J Baird/03-AUG-1972/Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigator
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Augustinian Monastery by 1174
Monument End Date : 1174
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded 1139
Monument End Date : 1139
Monument Start Date : 1139
Monument Type : Hermitage (Religious)
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C13 visible remains
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Priory
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C14 and C15 remains
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Priory
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Dissolved 1539
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1539
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : LE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 17087
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 39801
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 189188
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1295073
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1008554
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 51 SW 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 920465
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 920466
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 920467
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 920468
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 925281
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 920470
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 51 SW 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1953-07-02
End Date : 1953-07-02
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 51 SW 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1972-08-03
End Date : 1972-08-03
Associated Activities : Primary, ULVERSCROFT PRIORY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2006-01-01
End Date : 2008-12-31