HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Church Gresley Priory

Hob Uid: 921513
Location :
Derbyshire
South Derbyshire
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SK2934418091
Summary : Parish church, part of the Augustinian priory at Church Gresley which was founded in the 12th century and dissolved in 1536. The church is the only part still upstanding. The parish church dedicated to St.George and St. Mary formed part of the monastic buildings, the choir or chancel being used as the priory chapel. The latter was demolished with the rest of the priory buildings soon after the dissolution. Traces of the priory were found in 1861 thirty-two feet south of the South-East angle of the tower and to the east and west slight remains can be seen east of the church, although no pattern is discernible.Priory founded between 1100 and 1154 by William de Greley. Church in ruinious state when restored in 1786 and again restored and present chancel built in 1872. Coursed stone with slate roof. Much of internal stonework of monastic nave may survive but part of 14th century north arcade visibly remains and blocked door at west end of south wall probably led to cloisters. 15 tower, at east end of north aisle, formerly open to choir through lofty arch.
More information : [SK 29331810] St. Mary & St. George's Church
[SK 29391810] Moat [G.T.] (1)

A priory of Augustinian Canons was founded at Church Gresley in the reign of Stephen (?) (2) or Henry I (3) and dissolved in 1536.

The parish church dedicated to St.George and St. Mary (4)
formed part of the monastic buildings, the choir or chancel being used as the priory chapel. The latter was demolished with the rest of the priory buildings soon after the dissolution. Traces of the priory were found in 1861 thirty-two feet south of the S.E. angle of the tower and to the east and west Slight remains can be seen east of the church.(4)

In the early 19th century the outer walls were almost completely rebuilt. The church was restored in 1872 when a new chancel was built in the site of the old one. The tower is fifteenth century. (2-4)

Church in normal use. There are amorphous, part filled, hollows to the South and East but no surface evidence of monastic buildings or moat. (5)

St. Mary and St. George's Church, grade 2*. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1923.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 134
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Churches of Derbyshire Vol 3 1877 367, 374 (J.C. Cox)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The Buildings of England
Source details : Derbyshire 1953 p100
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FRH 04-AUG-66
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE Listed Buildings South Derbyshire District Derby October 1981 5
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Moat
Evidence : Uncertain Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C12 Norman foundation
Monument End Date : 1170
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory, Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Dissolved
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1536
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Church, Priory
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Largely rebuilt 1870
Monument End Date : 1870
Monument Start Date : 1870
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 82571
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1204963
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 21 NE 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 21 NE 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1966-08-04
End Date : 1966-08-04
Associated Activities : Primary, CHURCH OF ST. GEORGE & ST. MARY, CHURCH GRESLEY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2009-01-01
End Date : 2009-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CHURCH OF ST. GEORGE & ST. MARY, CHURCH GRESLEY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2010-01-01
End Date : 2010-12-31