HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 957699

Hob Uid: 957699
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Porlock
Grid Ref : SS8828447954
Summary : A Post Medieval stone ruined building was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. The ruined building consists of three remaining walls, about 10 metres north-south and 4.9 metres east-west. The eastern wall is not visible but the long west wall is incorporated into a field boundary wall which runs NNW-SSE from the beach to Butchers Plantation. The remains are believed to have been used as the clubhouse to the Porlock Golf Club around 1910. A field visit to the site in 1994 records it as roofless and has 3 walls standing to a height of about 2m. The building was still extant in aerial photographs taken in 1999.
More information : SS 8828 4795. The remains of a building - formerly the clubhouse of Porlock Golf Club.

Built on the top of a shingle bank the remains of a rectangular building of shingle and mortar construction are 9.7m N/S by 4.7m internally within walls 0.5m thick. It has utilised a field wall as its western side. Only this wall and the N and S walls (each still standing about 2m high) remain. The E side is not visible, however its foundations may be hidden beneath the shingle. The entrance, 1.1m wide with sides revetted with bricks, is at the S end of the W wall. This building appears to have utilised walls shown originally on the 1903 OS map (a).

According to Corner (b) this was, for a short time, the clubhouse of the Porlock Golf Links opened in August 1910. It was a 9 hole course and it was planned to increase it to 18 holes but that autumn the high tides washed away most of the course. There was a clubhouse in the village but players could leave their clubs at this building on the links under the care of a professional.

Published survey 1:2500 (c) correct. (1)

A Post Medieval stone ruined building was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. The ruined building, centred at SS 8828 4795, consists of three remaining walls, about 10 metres north-south and 4.9 metres east-west. The eastern wall is not visible but the long west wall is incorporated into a field boundary wall which runs NNW-SSE from the beach to Butchers Plantation. The building was still extant in aerial photographs taken in 1999. (2-4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Sainsbury I S, 23-NOV-94, RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1a
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1903 1:2500 Somerset Sheet 34:1
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1b
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Corner D, 1992 Porlock in those days 82-83
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1c
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1972 1:2500 Rev Sheet SS 8847
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SS 8847/4 (MSO31206/008) 21-JUN-1941
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF 106G/UK/1655 3023-3024 11-JUL-1946
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SS 8847/6 (18586/02) 12-OCT-1999
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Building, Clubhouse
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 16711
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 84 NE 57
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SS 84 NE 57
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1994-11-23
End Date : 1994-11-23
Associated Activities : Primary, GLOUCESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL: SEVERN ESTUARY NMP, RAPID COASTAL ZONE ASSESSMENT SURVEY
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2006-04-10
End Date : 2008-11-01