HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Kenilworth Medieval Settlement

Hob Uid: 333961
Location :
Warwickshire
Warwick
Kenilworth
Grid Ref : SP2840072494
Summary : A settlement at Kenilworth was recorded by the Domesday Book in 1086, referred to as 'Chinewrde', although the settlement would have developed with the building of Kenilworth Castle and St Mary's Abbey by Geoffrey de Clinton in the 12th century, and was created a Seignorial borough in circa 1125. Near Coventry Road in Kenilworth is a field known as 'The Parliament Piece', traditionally believed to be the site where Henry III held a Parliament in August 1266, while his troops besieged Kenilworth Castle. This Parliament led to the 'Dictum of Kenilworth' which extended a pardon and restored land to their previous owners, contingent on payment of certain penalties that were proportional to the level of involvement in the rebellion. The original settlement along the present day Warwick Road has been continuously redeveloped since the 12th century, and now retains little of the original town. Several buildings on Castle Green are constructed of stone retrieved after the castle was slighted following the Civil War.
More information : C. 1125 - Charter of Henry I confirming to Kenilworth Priory the gifts of its founder, Geoffrey de Clinton, including Kenilworth itself except the land which he kept in demesne for making his borough. (1)

The medieval development of the town appears to have centred on one long creek, now consisting of High Street, Castle Street and New Street. (2)

To the west of the town is Kenilworth Castle (SP 27 SE 2) begun in c. 1120. Immediately south of the High Street are the remains of St. Mary's Abbey (SP 27 SE 1), an Augustinian foundation, founded 1122. To the east of the town is the 'Old Manor' (SP 27 SE 20) listed as Grade 2, dating from 1490. The Church of St. Nicholas (SP 27 SE 33) on the south side of the High Street appears to date from the 14th century. Abbotsford School (SP 27 SE 34) is listed as Grade 2* and dates from the late 18th century. (3)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : English medieval boroughs: a handlist
Source details :
Page(s) : 174
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1973
Source Number : 1a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Monasticon Anglicanum 6 (eds J Caley,H Ellis & B Bandinel)(W Dugdale)223
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10000 1973
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : R1 MLR 04-NOV-88
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 27 SE 40
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 333827
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI'S CHURCH, WARWICK ROAD
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1991-12-31
Associated Activities : 16 HIGH STREET
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1995-01-01
End Date : 1995-12-31
Associated Activities : EAGLE LANE/62-64 WARWICK ROAD
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31
Associated Activities : 15 CLINTON LANE, CASTLE GREEN
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31