HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Martins Priory

Hob Uid: 467831
Location :
Kent
Dover
Dover
Grid Ref : TR3143041640
Summary : Originally founded in the castle area by King Eadbald of Kent (died 640), for 22 secular canons. These were transferred to St Martins in the town circa 696. There they remained until Henry I gave the church to Canterbury cathedral in 1130. Augustinian canons were introduced in 1131, but they were replaced in 1136 by Benedictine monks from Canterbury cathedral. These were reinforced by a further 12 monks in 1139, when the priory was declared to be a cell of Canterbury. Dissolved 1535. Extant buildings from the 12th and 13th centuries, including the refectory, are now incorporated into a 19th century college.
More information : [TR 31434164] St. Martins Priory [NR] (Remains of)
[TR 31474152] Gate House [NR] (Restored). (1)

The Priory of St. Mary the Virgin and St. Martin of the New Work, Dover, was founded for Augustinian Canons in 1131 who were replaced by Benedictines in 1136 (dependent on Canterbury Cathedral) It was dissolved in 1535.

In 691 A.D. the collegiate church of St. Martin-le-Grand was founded in the town by Wihtred, King of Kent (see TR 34 SW 36). The college was suppressed after 1130, and the canons removed to the new site. The remains of the priory now form part of Dover College (see plan F/54/86/8 (c)) and included the 12th/13th century refectory (now the school hall) the 13th century guest house (now the chapel) the 13th century gatehouse which was restored in 1880 (now the library) and fragments of the W. range and kitchen. (See GPs AO/64/142/5-7) Published 1/1250 survey correct. (2)

Dover College including remains of St. Martin's Priory. Effingham Crescent. Most of the buildings of the College are 19th century but it incorporates some of the remains of the Priory of St. Martin founded in 1140.
The School Hall, Dover College (formerly the Refectory of St. Martin'sPriory). Grade II. 12th to 13th century restored. Mediaeval wall painting of Last Supper.
Ruins to West of The Refectory of St. Martin's Priory, Dover College.
Grade II. Remains of flint walls of a Mediaeval building.
School Chapel, Dover College (formerly the Guest House of St. Martin'sPriory) Early 13th century restored in 1880. (For full description see list) (3)

TR 315415. Excavation by Brian Philp for Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit, Dover District Council and D.O.E. was carried out close to the 12th century hall within the limits of Dover Priory. The area was heavily disturbed and no structure was found. (4)

Additional bibliography. (5-12)

Additional bibliography - not consulted. (13-18)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 19.05.64
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : West Kent and the Weald
Source details :
Page(s) : 300-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : MEC Walcott
Page(s) : 281-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 7, 1868
Source Number : 9
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ants of Eng and Wales 2 1787 115-7 (F Grose)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details : EF Astley
Page(s) : 52-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 40, 1884
Source Number : 11
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : FC Plumptre
Page(s) : Jan-26
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4, 1861
Source Number : 12
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : MW Thompson
Page(s) : 312
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 143, 1986
Source Number : 13
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Home Count Mag 13 1911 245
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 14
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Home Count Mag 14 1912 17-25
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 15
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Eng Monasteries 1923 10 (AH Thompson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 16
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Dom Archit Eng Conquest to 13th cent 1851 43-5 (JH Turner)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 64,136
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 17
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Notitia Monastica Kent 21 1787 (Naismith)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2b
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Kent, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 133-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2c
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Dover Priory 1930 (CR Haines)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2d
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG (1050/11/A Dec 1947) 6-7
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Dist of Dover 1973 15 16
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details : B Philp
Page(s) : 239
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 24, 1980
Source Number : 5
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 64,156,424,472
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Archaeologia : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : WP Lee
Page(s) : 251
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 86, 1929

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 696
Monument Type : Collegiate Church
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1130
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Benedictine Monastery
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C12 and C13 Additions
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Guest House, Kitchen, Refectory, Gatehouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1136
Monument Start Date : 1131
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery
Evidence : Extant Building, Demolished Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1535
Monument Start Date : 1136
Monument Type : Benedictine Monastery, Benedictine Cell
Evidence : Demolished Building, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : KE 286
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TR 34 SW 22
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 466050
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 464467
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TR 34 SW 22
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1964-05-19
End Date : 1964-05-19
Associated Activities : Primary, DOVER COLLEGE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1979-01-01
End Date : 1979-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT DOVER PRIORY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2008-01-01
End Date : 2008-12-31