HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Andrews Church

Hob Uid: 925633
Location :
Essex
Rochford
Ashingdon
Grid Ref : TQ8659093600
Summary : Mainly 14th century parish church, probably built on the site of the minster built in 1020 to commemorate Cnut's victory at the Battle of Assandune, 1016, (TQ89SE1). The chancel and nave were built early in the 14th century and the west tower was added late in the same century. Early in the 16th century the East wall of the chancel was rebuilt in brick and the south porch added; the chancel-arch was perhaps removed at the same time. The church was restored in the 18th century when the South-East angle of the nave was rebuilt, and again in modern times when the North vestry was added.
More information : (TQ 86599359) St Andrew's Church [NAT] (1)

Church of St Andrew. Parish church. Mainly C14th, but possibly earlier origin, with some C16th brickwork; later and C20th restorations. Said to be on the site of the church built by King Cannute AD 1020 to commemorate his victory over Edmund Ironside at the Battle od Assandune AD 1016 (see TQ 89 SE 1). Grade II* (see list for details). (2)

Parish Church of St Andrew (Plate, p.xxxii) stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are of ragstone and flint-rubble with septaria, Roman and C16th brick; the dressings are of various limestones and brick; the roofs are tiled. The chancel and nave were built early in the C14th and the west tower was added late in the same century. Early in the C16th the E wall of the chancel was rebuilt in brick and the south porch added; the chancel-arch was perhaps removed at the same time. The church was restored in the C18th when the SE angle of the nave was rebuilt, and again in modern times when the north vestry was added. (3)

Additional reference. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10000 1978
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Dist of Rochford Essex 1988 1
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in Essex. Volume IV [south-east]
Source details :
Page(s) : 03-Apr
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Essex
Source details :
Page(s) : 61
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 466
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Founded 1020
Monument End Date : 1020
Monument Start Date : 1020
Monument Type : Minster
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Largely rebuilt
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Chancel modified
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 123053
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1112648
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 89 SE 49
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 419102
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :