HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Leicestershire and Rutland HER Result
Leicestershire and Rutland HERPrintable version | About Leicestershire and Rutland HER | Visit Leicestershire and Rutland HER online...

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Ref:MLE11367
Parish:Long Whatton and Diseworth, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire
Grid Reference:SK 448 323
Map:Coming soon

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Early Medieval to Modern - 1150 AD to 2050 AD)


The church is mentioned in the Matriculus of 1220. It has a late C12th/early C13th tower at the unusual east end of the south aisle. The church is over restored, the main date being 1866. The chancel was rebuilt and shortened in 1825.

Additional Information

Listed building description:
Parish Church. Late C12-early C13 tower with C15-C16 upper stage. Remainder C14 in origin but much restored and partly rebuilt 1865-6. Rubble stone with slate roofs. Nave and aisles, south porch, tower at east end of south aisle, chancel, south vestry. Tower is of 3 stages with slender clasping buttresses to lower stage, and battlemented parapet. Bell-chamber openings are C15-C16 of 2 lights with cusped tracery, depressed arches and carved heads to stops and apices of hood moulds. East and west openings are transomed. Middle stage has east, west and north windows of C1200, each with 2 slightly pointed lights in an unmoulded semicircular arch. Central mullions take form of octagonal piers with small capitals. West window is blocked. South side of tower has later 2-light traceried window to lower stage. Remainder of church is in Decorated style with C19 traceried windows, off-set buttresses, and moulded plinth to nave and south aisle. Chancel and vestry have battlemented parapets. West end of church has 3 steep gables, each with 3-light window, the nave also with door in moulded arch. North aisle originally of earlier C14 date than remainder, with 3 2-light windows to north, 3-light east window, and small north door in chamfered arch. Later C14 south aisle has 2 and 3-light windows and larger south doors in completely restored moulded arch. South porch is gabled, with gabled buttresses, chamfered arch on semi-octagonal piers, and small cusped side lights. Chancel has 2-light north window, single cusped light to south, and large 3-light east window. Vestry is C19-C20 with traceried windows and south door. Interior: nave arcades have double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. North arcade, of 5 bays, has shorter arches and capitals of different design to those of taller 3-bay south arcade. C19 roofs, the nave with C19 clerestory of 2-light traceried dormer windows. Aisles each have a piscina that to south with cusped ogee arch. Tower has lancet windows to lower and middle stages of west wall, and heavy double-chamfered arch to nave. Similar chancel arch with piscina and sedilia. Fittings: restored circular C12 font with frieze of diagonally crosses squares, in baptistery surrounded by traceried wooden screens of 1929. More traceried wooden screens at east end of north aisle. much restored but with some C15-C16 fragments. Chancel screens of similar date were brought from Colston Bassett, Notts in 1894. Good pulpit of 1613 with carved arcaded panels, brought from Shefford, Berks 1897. Chair dated 1W 1655. Late C19-C20 glass. Monuments: to Mary Dawson 1779, in form of large white marble urn with flame finial and draped inscriptions, on marble pedestal with panels commemorating children. Other marble wall tablets, including one Abigail Smith 1695.

Mentioned in the Matriculus of 1220.

Project Gargoyle survey work in 2009 recorded late C14th corbels with human heads in the nave, possibly caricature portraits of living people. Also human heads (probable portraits) on either side of the exterior of the east window and small heads on the tower.

<1> Pevsner N, 1984, The Buildings of England Leicestershire and Rutland, p278-9 (Bibliographic reference). SLE4.

"Late C12 or early C13 tower in a curious position at the E end of the S aisle. The lancets facing into the aisle prove that it must have originally have stood free towards the west arch towards the nave on the N side. Broad but insubstantial clasping buttresses. Twin bell-openings with octagonal shafts between on the N, W, and E sides only. Top stage Perpendicular. The church is over-restored. The main date is 1866. As it is now, it faces W with three exaggeratedly steep gables, certainly pre-Victorian. The tracery was all new or renewed in the C19. Odd C19 dormer arrangement for the clerestory windows. N and S arcades of octagonal piers, but differing heights. Chancel rebuilt and shortened in 1825. - FONT. Norman, circular, drum-shaped, with three bands of saltire crosses. - SCREEN. Tall and good, with four-light divisions. Brought from Colston Bassett, Nottinghamshire, 1894. - Some original Perpendicular parts in the N aisle screen. - PULPIT. 1613. Brought from Great Shefford, Berkshire, 1897. - STAINED GLASS. E window by Hardman, 1866. - Glass by Heaton, Butler & Bayne in the N aisle E (d.1914) and nave W (d.1917) windows. - MONUMENT. Mrs Mary Dawson c.1779. Free-standing urn on a black plinth (cf. Shepshed). Signed by Hind Jun."

<2> 2016, National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) accessioning (Website). SLE4981.

SUMMARY: "Parish church. Late 12th - early 13th century tower with 15th-16th century upper stage. Remainder 14th century in origin but much restored and partly rebuilt 1865-6. Rubble stone with slate roofs. Nave and aisles, south porch, tower at east end of south aisle, chancel, south vestry."
URL: 'https://nrhe-to-her.esdm.co.uk/NRHE/RecordDetail.aspx?pageid=45&he_uid=315408', accessioned 30/10/2023.

<3> Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 (6") historic mapping, 6" (1922) (Map). SLE7243.

[SK 4823 2331] All Saints' Church [T.U.]

<4> Nichols J, The History and Antiquities of Leicestershire, Vol 3 pt 2 (1804), p1106, plate CXXCIX (Bibliographic reference). SLE7.

"Long Whatton ... The church, dedicated to All Souls, consists of a nave, chancel, and two ailes; and has a tower on the South end ... In the Matriculus of 1220, Whatton is described to be under the patronage of the abbot of Leicester: …"

<5> Harvey, A & Beynon, VBC, 1924, Leicestershire, p160 (Bibliographic reference). SLE7362.

"Long Whatton ... The church has a Norman tower in an unusual position at the East end of the South aisle, but the rest of the building is Decorated, and consists of three parallel naves of almost equal length and height" …

<6> Field Investigators Comments, F1 WW 22-JAN-60 (Website). SLE3488.

The church is in use for public worship.


<1>Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N. 1984. The Buildings of England Leicestershire and Rutland. p278-9.
<2>Website: 2016. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) accessioning.
<3>Map: Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 (6") historic mapping. 6" (1922).
<4>Bibliographic reference: Nichols J. The History and Antiquities of Leicestershire. Vol 3 pt 2 (1804), p1106, plate CXXCIX.
<5>Bibliographic reference: Harvey, A & Beynon, VBC. 1924. Leicestershire. p160.
<6>Website: Field Investigators Comments. F1 WW 22-JAN-60.

Associated Finds

  • FONT (Saxo Norman to Early Medieval - 1067 AD to 1150 AD)


  • Listed Building (II*) 1064262: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
  • Conservation Area: Long Whatton