HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Leicestershire and Rutland HER Result
Leicestershire and Rutland HERPrintable version | About Leicestershire and Rutland HER | Visit Leicestershire and Rutland HER online...

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


Name:CHURCH OF ST. MARY IN THE ELMS, FOREST ROAD (EAST SIDE)
HER Ref:MLE13943
Parish:Woodhouse, Charnwood, Leicestershire
Grid Reference:SK 538 151
Map:Coming soon

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Medieval to Modern - 1401 AD to 2050 AD)

Summary

Woodhouse was a chapelry of Barrow in the medieval period. Pevsner describes a broad Perpendicular east window, C17th south windows and 1878 restoration work. Some of the fabric is medieval but the bulk of the old church was rebuilt in the C17th.

Additional Information

Listed building description:
Church of C15, C17 and C19. Granite and slate rubble stone and dressed stone, and Swithland slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. Moulding band beneath nave window sills. West tower. Nave and chancel under one roof, north aisle and south porch and south-west vestry.
Tower of 3 stages, lower part of c.1450 with upper part and tall pyramid roof of 1844 and later C19. West arch to nave. West lancet with C19 stained glass. Flat-topped 1-light window on second stage south wall. Small 2 storey north-west extension. Three 2-light flat-topped bell openings, and rubble stone stack with ashlar flue on east side above nave roof. Gilded weathercock on roof. Nave walls partly of C15, with buttresses and on south side seven C17 2-light windows with cambered lintels. Mainly C19 stained glass (one window 1845 by Warrington), but fragments of heraldic glass of 1450. North aisle of 1878 with 2 bay arcade: double chamfered arches onto circular pier. 4 windows, 3 with stained glass of 1943, 1928 and 1892. Further C17 2-light on north wall of chancel with further fragments of 1450 stained glass. 5-light Perpendicular east window renewed 1858 with stained glass by Hedgeland. Hood mould and label stops outside. C19 triple purlin roof with collars and struts covers nave and chancel. C19 south porch and C19 south-west vestry possibly C17 in part. Blocked south door to chancel. Pulpit of 1615 with tall back panel; C18 and C19 wall monuments; possibly medieval font; linenfold panelling in chancel brought in, partly C16/C17. In north aisle organ screen are fragments of C16 wood carving, one dated 1597.

Project Gargoyle Overview (2016):
Photographed by Iain Loveridge September 2013
Although the church is recorded here in 1338, nothing of this building remains. There was substantial rebuilding and restoration in 1859 and 1878. The curiously-located lion is almost certainly from 1878, when the north aisle was added. There is no other figurative carving inside or outside.

Associated Finds

    None recorded

Designations

  • Listed Building (II*) 1074611: CHURCH OF ST. MARY IN THE ELMS
  • Conservation Area: Woodhouse (Forest Road)

Images

No image caption available  © Leicestershire County Council

No image caption available © Leicestershire County Council

Beaumont Lion (probably 1878)  © Leicestershire County Council

Beaumont Lion (probably 1878) © Leicestershire County Council

Beaumont Lion (probably 1878)  © Leicestershire County Council

Beaumont Lion (probably 1878) © Leicestershire County Council

North elevation  © Leicestershire County Council

North elevation © Leicestershire County Council