HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > North Lincolnshire HER Result
North Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About North Lincolnshire HER | Visit North Lincolnshire HER online...

If you think this information is inaccurate please e-mail corrections to North Lincolnshire HER .

HER Number:915
Type of record:Building


Church of All Saints, Belton

Grid Reference:SE 478 406
Map Sheet:SE44SE
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Monument Types

  • ANGLICAN CHURCH (MED:C14,C15/PM:C19, Medieval to Post Medieval - 1300 AD to 1899 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building (I) 1083293: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Associated Finds - None

Associated Events - None

Full description

All Saints Church, Belton, re-used Early English masonry, Decorated, Perpendicular (Pevsner 1964, 188). [1]

18/18 Church of All Saints 1.3.67 GV I
Parish church. Largely C14-C15, with reused C13 arches to nave arcades and C14 windows to north aisle. Restorations of 1851 to chancel, including new east window. C19 reflooring, reseating, reroofing. Limestone ashlar, apart from rendered west sides of aisles, and clerestory of coursed rubble and squared blocks, fully rendered to north side, partly rendered to south. Lead roofs to aisles, north chapel and porch; Welsh slate roofs to nave and chancel; concrete tile roof to vestry. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with 2-bay north chapel and vestry adjoining south side. Moulded plinth throughout. 3-stage tower: angle buttresses with offsets; first stage with pointed 2-light cinquefoiled west window with hoodmould, head stops and relief carving of shield above, pointed south door (probably inserted); stepped-in second stage with pointed slit lights to north and south, recessed panel to west with worn inscription, clockface to south; third stage with pointed 2-light belfry openings with partly restored foiled Y tracery, hoodmoulds and head stops; corble table, angle gargoyles, coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. North aisle: buttresses between bays with offsets, weathered string course below sill level with wall stepped-in above; blocked pointed north door with wave-and- hollow mouldings beneath string course; pointed 3-light windows with reticulated tracery, one restored; blocked pointed arch to west side with inserted pointed 2-light window; coped parapet. South aisle: angle buttresses and buttresses between bays supporting shafts with worn gargoyles below parapet; 2 pointed 3-light south windows with Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds with carved head and grotesque stops; similar east window with restored mullions; blocked pointed arch to west side with small inserted lancet; coped embattled parapet. Porch: pointed wave-and-hollow moulded outer arch beneath crocketed hoodmould with worn carved angel stops holding shields, string course above with tablet to centre bearing worn inscription with names of church wardens, shield and date 1755; moulded string course with mutilated carved figure to east side, coped embattled gable parapet. Pointed wave-and-hollow moulded inner arch. Clerestory: 2 pointed 2-light cinquefoiled north and south windows in moulded reveals, 4-centred-arched 3-light traceried east window above chancel roof; moulded string course, coped parapet and gable with cross finial. Chancel, north chapel and vestry have angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets; chancel and chapel have sill string courses. Chancel: south side has blocked pointed door, 2 pointed 3-light Perpendicular-traceried windows; large C19 pointed 5-light Perpendicular-traceried east window with moulded reveal: all windows with crenellated supertransoms. Moulded string course, coped parapet. North chapel: pointed 3-light north window with restored Perpendicular tracery; pointed 3-light east window with restored reticulated tracery; moulded string course, restored coped parapet. Vestry: pointed south door with wave-and-hollow mouldings, hoodmould; single-light trefoiled ogee south window with moulded reveal, wrought-iron bars; similar west window, 4- centred-arch 3-light east window (outer lights blocked), with trefoiled lights, incised spandrels and wave-moulded reveal; moulded string course with carved head to west, coped parapet; chimney adjoining chancel with crenellated octagonal shaft. Interior. Tall nave arcades of C13 pointed moulded arches with 2 keeled orders, hoodmoulds and head stops to inner face, roll-moulded soffit, and keeled and wave-moulded orders to outer face (apart from south-east bay, keeled to both sides), on C14-C15 octagonal piers with moulded and crenellated capitals and bell-shaped octagonal bases. Tower doorway with pointed arch of 2 continuous wave-moulded orders in tall blind arch, full-height of nave, with similar mouldings. Blocked pointed west arches to aisles with similar mouldings. North aisle has pointed east arch to north chapel with continuous double chamfer and octagonal bases to responds, pointed wave-moulded arch to blocked north door, plain corbelled image bracket to north wall. South aisle has chamfered arch to south door, mutilated corbelled image bracket with foliate carving to east wall. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch dying into jambs. Chancel has 3-bay arcade to north chapel with pointed arches of 2 wave-moulded orders on octagonal piers and responds with moulded crenellated capitals and moulded octagonal bases; 4-centred-arched doorway to vestry of 2 hollow-chamfered orders with fielded-panelled door; wave-and-hollow-moulded reveal with broach stops to south-west window; triple sedilia with sub-cusped cinquefoiled ogee arches with wave-and-hollow mouldings, buttress shafts with moulded offsets and crenellated frieze above; wave-moulded cinquefoiled ogee piscina with moulded corbelled bowl. C19 roofs throughout: 6-bay nave roof with corbelled wall shafts, moulded tie beams with pointed carved bosses, arch-braced principal rafters; 3-bay chancel roof with corbelled wall posts, arch braces to moulded tie beams with pendants. Monuments. C15 chest tomb in east bay of chancel arcade with 3 rectangular cusped panels bearing shields to north and south sides, one shield to south with arms in relief, the remainder blank. Much worn C14 effigy of Knight in north chapel, made from a coped stone perhaps of Saxon origin, with head and feet in ogee reveals, shield and cross motif on top. Small inscribed brass plate on chancel arcade pier to Elizabeth Taylor of 1728. Black marble floorslabs in north chapel to Robert Ryther and others of 1693, and to Robert Ryther of 1695, both with incised mantled arms and crest in roundel. Wall tablets in north chapel: good marble tablet to Katherine Johnson of 1786 by I Fisher of York, with obelisk base, inscribed oval plaque with guilloche border, frieze and cartouche below, damaged swag, cornice and draped urn above; 3 tablets by J Lockwood of Doncaster: to Robert Popplewell Steer of 1826 with guttae, draped shield and crest, to Maria Lammin of 1822 with ribbed pilasters, cornice and lamp, to John and Hannah Collinson of 1827-8 with panelled pilasters, moulded cornice, lamp, crossed trumpet and torch; pedimented tablet with acroteria to William Johnson of 1831 by Walsh and Dunbar of Leeds; pedimented tablet to Katherine Collinson of 1836 by E Gaffin of London, with palm fronds and shield; to William Collinson of 1846 by T Gaffin of London; plain tablet to John Hilton, clerk, of 1853 by Longley of Canterbury; pedimented tablet to James and Hariot Lammin of c1853 by Maile of London. Plain C13 circular bowl font with short cylindrical shaft and water-holding base on octagonal step. 2 small late medieval stained glass panels with coats of arms to south-west chancel window; remainder of stained glass is C19 and C20. The fine chancel south windows have similar tracery to those in the tower at Saint Augustine's church, Hedon, by Robert Playser, 1427-37. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 188-9. W Read, History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, pp 336-41; photographs in NMR.
Listing NGR: SE7828906335 [2]

The church contains two memorial plaques commemorating the fallen from the First and Second World Wars.

The 1914-18 plaque is brass in an oak frame, and lists 30 names. It was unveiled on 31st March 1921. The 1939-45 plaque lists 10 names. [3]

A document compiled in 1566 includes a list of church furniture and other items that were deliberately destroyed at this church during the reformation. [4]

UK National Inventory of War Memorials, 51625, 51626 (WEBSITE). SLS4370.

<1> Loughlin, N and Miller, KR, 1979, A Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside, 152 (BOOK). SLS523.

<2> English Heritage/NMR, 2005, Listed building system data in MIDAS XML format, 165074 (COMPUTER DISK/TAPE). SLS2963.

<3> Edward Peacock, Ed, 1866, English Church Furniture at the Period of the Reformation, 44-47 (BOOK). SLS7105.

Sources and further reading

---WEBSITE: UK National Inventory of War Memorials. www.ukniwm.org.uk. 51625, 51626.
<1>BOOK: Loughlin, N and Miller, KR. 1979. A Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside. A4 Bound. 152.
<2>COMPUTER DISK/TAPE: English Heritage/NMR. 2005. Listed building system data in MIDAS XML format. CD. 165074.
<3>BOOK: Edward Peacock, Ed. 1866. English Church Furniture at the Period of the Reformation. 44-47.

Related records

21664Related to: WAR MEMORIAL, GREY GREEN (Building)