HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Norfolk HER Result
Norfolk HERPrintable version | About Norfolk HER | Visit Norfolk HER online...

View this record on the Norfolk Heritage Explorer web site

NHER Number:5567
Type of record:Monument
Name:19th century war memorial and World War Two pillbox

Summary

In the late 1850s a war memorial was built to commemorate the end of the Crimean War. This survives, despite having been hit by a car in 1983, and is one of only a few monuments to the Crimean War in Britain. In 1940 a World War Two pillbox was built beside the memorial but it was demolished after the war, potentially by 1946.


Grid Reference:TM 0496 9524
Map Sheet:TM09NW
Parish:ATTLEBOROUGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK
Map:Show location on GoogleMaps

Monument Type(s)

  • COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • OBELISK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WAR MEMORIAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PILLBOX (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Full description

September 1975. Obelisk.
Commemmorates peace of 1856 (Crimean War). Bears names of battles, and lists of local towns with their distances. Iron brackets remain at top. Restored stone finial. Signed 'E. Robins, mason, Windham'.
E. Rose (NAU) 26 September 1975.

December 1983.
Hit by car which revealed it was not a solid structure but slabs placed round a hollow core. Dismantled and restored.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 December 1983.

Press cutting (S1) in file.

August 1996.
Common 1940 type 22 pillbox, now demolished. Stood below Crimean War Monument on crossroads.
Survey no. R1-6. Information from [1].
See record form (S3) in file.
D.Walker (NLA) August 1996.

September 2005.
The memorial is one of only a few monuments to the Crimean War in Britain.
See (S4).
D. Robertson (NLA) 29 September 2005.

Carol W. Haines' Norfolk Milestones survey part IV (S5) records the distances written on each side of the memorial.
D. Holburn (HES), 16 January 2012.

November 2012. Norfolk NMP.
Assessment of the earliest available aerial photographs for this site (1946- S6) did not reveal any convincing traces of a pillbox next to the monument, suggesting that it had been removed by this date.
S. Horlock (NMP), 02 November 2012.

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Photograph: BZS 34.
<S1>Newspaper Article: 1983. Eastern Daily Press. 2 December.
<S2>Article in serial: Haines, C.. 1991. Norfolk Milestones Part 4.. NIAS Journal. Vol 5, No 1, p 39.
<S3>Unpublished document: Norfolk Defensive Structures Survey record form.
<S4>Newspaper Article: 1999. Eastern Daily Press. 17 December.
<S5>Article in serial: C. W. Haines. 1991. Norfolk Milestones, Part IV. Journal of Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.34-42. pp 38 and 39.
<S6>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 3G/TUD/UK/101 6141-2 30-MAR-1946 (NMR).