HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Staffordshire HER Result
Staffordshire HERPrintable version | About Staffordshire HER | Visit Staffordshire HER online...

Record Details

HER Number:01069
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Bishop's Manor House, Brewood


The documented site of the Bishop's manor house at Brewood. It is traditionally believed to have occupied the east end of the Market Place, and some low timber framed dwellings which stood here until 1896 were conjectured to be the remains of a larger building.

Grid Reference:SJ 8836 0877
Map Sheet:SJ80NE
Parish:Brewood, South Staffordshire District
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Monument Type(s):

Associated Events:

  • EST593 - An archaeological watching brief at the Church of St Mary and St Chad, Brewood.
  • EST752 - An archaeological evaluation at 8 Market Place, Brewood.

Full description

'The capital messuage and close' which was the episopal residence at Brewood, is traditionally believed to have occupied the east end of the Market Place; here are some low timber-built houses, which are conjectured to be the remains of a larger building. It would adjoin the north side of the churchyard, and in digging graves beyond the line of the yew trees, being the part annexed in 1825, several very substantial foundations were found. The Sandy Lane would be the boundary of the residence on the north side… Bishop held Brewood in Domesday Book. The temporalities were retained for some time in the hands of the Crown on the deaths of Bishops Geoffrey de Muscamp in 1208; Walter de Langton in 1322; and of Roger de Northburgh in 1360; King John occupied the manor house on several of his progresses…Bishop Roger de Weseham died here in 1258…There is no record of any Bishop having afterwards occupied the residence. In 1322 it was probably dilapidated, being rented at 18d a year though estimated at 40d. Probably ruinous by 1361 as it is not mentioned in the inquiry of that year. <1>


[1/5/03] Two trenches were excavated to the rear of 8 Market Place, in advance of a new housing development, and found that there was no evidence of medieval activity and that the area had probably been grassland or used as an orchard. <2>

By 1473 the manor house was being leased to the vicar of Brewood and a lease of pasture described as the site of the manor house in 1538 indicates that it no longer existed. On the south side of the Market Place stands a property known as 'The Dreadnought' built in 1908 on the site of two old timber framed cottages demolished in 1896, which are traditionally said to have stood on the site of the bishop's residence (DAT 22/02/2013) <3>

Sources and further reading

---SST3529 - Watching Brief Report: Bob Meeson (Historic Buildings Consultant). 2000. Church of St Mary and St Chad at Brewood. Archaeological Watching Brief.
<1>SST390 - Index: Ordnance Survey. See cards. Ordnance Survey Card Index. SJ 80 NE - 9 (Brewood-A Resume Historic and Topographical by James H. Smith, 1867, pages 2-3 & map).
<2>SST3710 - Evaluation Report: Nic Appleton-Fox(Marches Archaeology). 2002. 8 Market Place, Brewood, Staffordshire: A Report on an Archaeological Evaluation.
<3>SST520 - Bibliographic reference: David Horovitz. 1988. Brewood: some notes on the history of Brewood in Staffordshire, with an account of the escape of Charles II after the Battle of Worcester on 3rd September 1651. p. 63 and 182.