HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Staffordshire HER Result
Staffordshire HERPrintable version | About Staffordshire HER | Visit Staffordshire HER online...

Record Details

MonUID:MST17581
HER Number:53814
Type of record:Building
Name:Former Minors School, 2 Bore Street, Lichfield

Summary

The site of Minors school which was built in 1670. The school closed in 1870 and part of the building was demolished in the early 20th century. One of the gables of the school building survives as part of the early 20th century shop which otherwise replaced it.

Grid Reference:SK 1166 0939
Map Sheet:SK10NW
Parish:Lichfield, Lichfield District
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Monument Type(s):

  • SCHOOL (Built, POST MEDIEVAL - 1670 AD to 1670 AD (Circa))
  • SHOP (Built, Victorian to Post-1914 - 1900 AD to 1934 AD (between))
  • SCHOOL (Abandoned, Victorian - 1876 AD to 1876 AD)

Protected Status:

    Full description

    A three storey brick built shop of the early 20th century with attractive shaped gables. The building incorporates part of the 17th century Minors School (note the original stepped gable on eastern side). (DAL, 22/03/2010) <1>

    Thomas Minors, a Presbyterian mercer, built a school in 1670. The school house, a four-bay, two-storey brick building, stood at the corner of Bore Street and St John Street. The schoolroom was on the ground floor at the west end of the building. Minors maintained the school until his death in 1677, an by will gave the building as a school for 30 poor boys of the city to be chosen by trustees. In 1844 the building was repaired and more school accommodation was provided, perhaps by enlarging the school rooms. In 1851-2 there were 30 free boys and 43 paying 2d a week; by 1857 the number of fee-payers had risen to 60. The inspector in 1865 for the Taunton Commission thought it a 'very good' school, popular with small tradesmen, but recommended it be affiliated to the grammar school. The Endowed Schools Commission pressed for amalgamation, the Minors trustees admitting that the school house, despite being picturesque, was no longer suitable. A Scheme of 1876 wound up Minors and transferred most of its endowments to a reorganised grammar school. The school room end of Minors school house was pulled down for road widening in or shortly after 1902 and what remained was demolished in 1914. (DAL, 22/03/2010) <2>

    Sources and further reading

    <1>SST57 - Designation Record: Rob Harper (Lichfield District Council). 1997. (016) Lichfield City Conservation Area Document. Page 21.
    <2>SST3623 - Published Book: The Victoria History of the Counties of England. 1990. (VCH volume 14) A History of the County of Stafford, Volume XIV, Lichfield.. Pages 173-4.

    Feedback