HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Staffordshire HER Result
Staffordshire HERPrintable version | About Staffordshire HER | Visit Staffordshire HER online...

Record Details

HER Number:55833
Type of record:Monument
Name:Folly, Shugborough Park


A listed 'Romantic Ruin', constructed in the 18th century but incorporating earlier Tudor material which may have belonged to the Bishops of Lichfield's manor house (see PRN 00862). Repair works revealed the remains of ditch which may have formed a moat around the original building.

Grid Reference:SJ 9914 2255
Map Sheet:SJ92SE
Parish:Colwich, Stafford Borough
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Monument Type(s):

  • FOLLY (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)

Associated Events:

  • EST1212 - A survey of moated sites in Staffordshire.

Protected Status:

  • Listed Building (II) 1079640: Ruins at Shugborough Hall

Full description

The Ruin was probably the work of Thomas Wright and was originally much larger, stretching to the South-West and including a Gothic Pigeon House (Location unknown). The Ruin was constructed using fragments of the former palace of the Bishops of Lichfield and parts of the old house pulled down to make way for the bow to the west front. Seated on a rubble crag are the remains of a Druid, made from Coadestone.The Ruin was neglected for many years, until restoration began in the 1960s. (HP, 25-Nov-2013) <1>

A Gothic pigeon house is known to have existed at Shugborough by 1750. It probably formed part of the structure known as 'The Ruin', but was taken down circa 1770. (SB, 15-Sept-2016) <2>

Sources and further reading

<1>SST4679 - Other Report: Cookson And Tickner. 2014. Shugborough Parkland Management Plan. NT NUMBER 53109.
<2>SST4679 - Other Report: Cookson And Tickner. 2014. Shugborough Parkland Management Plan. NT NUMBER 53311.

Related records

00862Part of: Possible Bishops Palace, Old Hall and Moat, Shugborough (Monument)