HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Swineshead Abbey

Hob Uid: 352580
Location :
Lincolnshire
Boston
Swineshead
Grid Ref : TF2495040550
Summary : The remains of the Abbey of St Mary, a Cistercian monastery founded in 1134 Robert de Gresley. It was dissolved in 1536, with the first documented reuse of the site dating from 1607 when a farmhouse was built out of the abbey ruins by Sir John Lockton. The abbey occupies a slightly raised area in the marshland 1km north east of Swineshead. In the raised area in the north eastern part of the monument, partly overlain by Abbey Farm, are the buried remains of the abbey's inner court where the church, cloister and dorter would have been located. Adjacent to the west is another raised area where the remains of the outer court are located; these would include stables, barns and other agricultural and service buildings, together with the principal gatehouse of the abbey. The foundations of stone walls and fragments of medieval artefacts have been located in the outer court. In the southern part of the monument are the earthwork remains of three rectangular ditched enclosures which represent the remains of paddocks or gardens. They are bounded on the west by the remains of a ditch, thought to represent the western boundary of the inner precinct. In the south eastern part of the monument are the remains of a series of parallel field strips separated by linear ditches, representing the remains of a field system. Scheduled.
More information : [TF 2496 4073] Swineshead Abbey on site of [T.I.], St Mary's Abbey [G.T.] (Cistercian) (Founded A.D. 1135) [T.I.]
Fishpond [G.T.]. (1)

The date of the founding of the Cistercian Abbey at Swineshead is given variously as 1134, 1135 and 1148 (a.b.) and the date of dissolution as 1536. Mother House, Furness.
The present mansion on the site incorporates some of the remains of the Abbey.
Air photography indicates earthworks, probably associated, in the area [TF 051 407](3). [AO/LP/63/287]

To the east of the site a large scatter of mainly 13th-15th century pottery, human and animal bones, stones, tiles, and pots, and a small bronze sheath have been found. (2-5)

The present house at this site is named "Abbey Farm". It is unoccupied and shows no external evidence of Medieval work. The only surviving earthworks are a fishpond complex with associated drainage at TF 2495 4055. Adjacent areas are under plough; no surface finds were made.
Published survey (25") revised. (6)

Swineshead Abbey House was built on the site of the former Cistercian Abbey in 1607 for Sir John Lockton, reusing abbey remains. (7)

TF 249 407. Swineshead Abbey. Scheduled no. LI/304. (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 116
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 19-Mar-99
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 126
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Lincoln, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 145-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2b
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Dugdale W. 1846. Monasticon Anglicanum
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : A/P (J K S St Joseph J.E. 70 Udtd)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : 1940/11/A, MAY-1960
Page(s) : 11
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : East Midland Archaeological bulletin
Source details :
Page(s) : 12
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1961
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JB 19-JAN-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Boston, 5-APR-1988
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : County list of Scheduled Monuments : March 1994
Source details : Lincolnshire
Page(s) : 3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1134
Monument Type : Cistercian Monastery, Abbey
Evidence : Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1134 to 1536
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1134
Monument Type : Church, Cloister, Dormitory, Stable, Barn, Agricultural Building, Gatehouse, Paddock, Garden, Ditched Enclosure, Field System
Evidence : Demolished Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built in 1607
Monument End Date : 1607
Monument Start Date : 1607
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Lincolnshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 304
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : LI 304
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 22747
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 192125
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 24 SW 7
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 352544
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 24 SW 7
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-01-19
End Date : 1965-01-19
Associated Activities : Primary, LANGRICK BRIDGE TO RISEGATE WATER PIPELINE
Activity type : DESK BASED ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31