HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Melton House Of Industry

Hob Uid: 1400799
Location :
Suffolk
East Suffolk
Melton
Grid Ref : TM2837051910
Summary : The building housing the former Melton House of Industry was built in 1765-1767 in St Audrys Park Road in Melton, Suffolk. The building was converted to the Suffolk County Lunatic Asylum in 1827-1829 and was remodelled by the architects Scott & Moffatt. The building remained as an asylum until c.1906 when it became the Suffolk District Asylum until 1930. The asylum was renamed St Audry's Hospital for Mental Diseases in 1916 and remained as a hospital until it closed in 1992 when many of the buildings were demolished. The site is now occupied by a housing estate.The main administration block of the former hospital that still remains consists of two storeys and is made up of red brick with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped plain tile roofs. The west wings were enlarged and remodelled in 1844 by Scott and Moffat and further enlargement took place in 1862. In 1885-6 two ward blocks, a water tower and laundries were added and the kitchen enlarged with the recreation hall added above it, by Gough and Giles. Two more ward blocks were added shortly after, with a further two wards added in 1902-4. Further additions took place in 1901, 1902-4, 1912 and 1926.
More information : The building housing the former Melton House of Industry was built in 1765-1767 in St Audrys Park Road in Melton, Suffolk. The building was converted to the Suffolk County Lunatic Asylum in 1827-1829 and was remodelled by the architects Scott & Moffatt. The building remained as an asylum until c.1906 when it became the Suffolk District Asylum until 1930. The asylum was renamed St Audry’s Hospital for Mental Diseases in 1916 and remained as a hospital until it closed in 1992 when many of the buildings were demolished. The site is now occupied by a housing estate. (1)

St Audry’s Hospital Administration Block is a grade II listed building. For further details on the designation see the statutory data. (2)

The main administration block of the former hospital that still remains consists of two storeys and is made up of red brick with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped plain tile roofs. The west wings were enlarged and remodelled in 1844 by Scott and Moffat and further enlargement took place in 1862. In 1885-6 two ward blocks, a water tower and laundries were added and the kitchen enlarged with the recreation hall added above it, by Gough and Giles. Two more ward blocks were added shortly after, with a further two wards added in 1902-4. Further additions took place in 1901, 1902-4, 1912 and 1926. At the time of compiling this record in 2012, access to information on the designation noted in source 2 above is available via the National Heritage List for England. (3)

The National Grid Reference for the building is: TM28375191 (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : The National Archives, [Accessed 17-JUL-2012]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Suffolk Coastal, 11-Jun-1985
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : The National Heritage List for England, St Audry's Hospital Administration Block, [Accessed 17-JUL-2012]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:1250, 2008
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Georgian
Display Date : Built 1765-1767
Monument End Date : 1767
Monument Start Date : 1765
Monument Type : Workhouse
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Georgian
Display Date : Altered 1829
Monument End Date : 1829
Monument Start Date : 1829
Monument Type : Workhouse, Psychiatric Hospital
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Built post-1992
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1922
Monument Type : Housing Estate
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Extended 1844
Monument End Date : 1844
Monument Start Date : 1844
Monument Type : Workhouse, Psychiatric Hospital
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : 1862 addition
Monument End Date : 1862
Monument Start Date : 1862
Monument Type : Psychiatric Hospital, Workhouse, Chapel
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : 1885-6 additions
Monument End Date : 1886
Monument Start Date : 1885
Monument Type : Psychiatric Hospital, Workhouse, Ward Block
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Post 1886 additions
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1886
Monument Type : Psychiatric Hospital, Workhouse, Ward Block
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : 1902-4 additions
Monument End Date : 1904
Monument Start Date : 1902
Monument Type : Psychiatric Hospital, Workhouse, Infectious Diseases Hospital, Farm, Storehouse, Bakehouse, Boiler House, Mortuary, Health Workers House, Lodge, Terrace, Terraced House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : 1912 addition
Monument End Date : 1912
Monument Start Date : 1912
Monument Type : Psychiatric Hospital, Workhouse, Chapel
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : 1926 addition
Monument End Date : 1926
Monument Start Date : 1926
Monument Type : Hospital, Nurses Hostel
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : First World War
Display Date : 1916 change of use
Monument End Date : 1916
Monument Start Date : 1916
Monument Type : Hospital
Evidence : Demolished Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 100047
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 286237
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1377362
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TM 25 SE 43
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: WORKHOUSES PROJECT
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: DISABILITY IN TIME AND PLACE
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 2011-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31