HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1546590

Hob Uid: 1546590
Location :
Medway
Hoo St. Werburgh
Grid Ref : TQ7554873787
Summary : A length of Second World War anti tank ditch, part of a Stop Line constructed in 1940 across the Hoo peninsula from the north bank of the Medway to the south bank of the Thames (Monument 1542577), has been mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. The ditch across Hoo was part of the system of GHQ Stop Lines designed to halt or delay the advance of a German invasion force landing in southern and south eastern England. The section described in this record was separate from the main Stop Line on Rough Shaw (Monument 1542687). It ran between the north west corner of Lodge Hill Ordnance Depot (Monument 1077634) to the eastern edge of Berrys Court Wood, and may have been constructed in order to provide an extra line of defence for the depot, as well as the ammunition stores at Lodge Hill Camp (Monument 1545549) and Chattenden Magazines (Monument 1481790). It may also have been associated with a defended locality (Monument 1546483) centred on the remains of the Lodge Hill First World War anti aircraft battery (Monument 1442424) which is located to the north east. A number of pillboxes forming part of the Stop Line's in depth defences are located in the immediate vicinity (Monuments 1418707, 1546582, 1418704, 1426721, 1544162). The anti tank ditch, including the section described here, was in place by November 1940, when it was shown on a German military map based on aerial photographic evidence. The earliest aerial photographs of this part of the ditch available to the Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project were taken in May 1944, by which time this section had been decommissioned and backfilled and appeared only as a very shallow depression at the centre of an area of cleared ground.
More information : A length of Second World War anti tank ditch centred at TQ 7554 7383, part of a Stop Line constructed in 1940 across the Hoo peninsula from the Medway to the Thames (Monument 1542577), has been mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. The ditch across Hoo was part of the system of GHQ Stop Lines designed to halt or delay the advance of a German invasion force landing in southern and south eastern England. The section described in this record was separate from, and about 225m to the south of, part of the main Stop Line on Rough Shaw (Monument 1542687). It ran for 329.5m between the north west corner of Lodge Hill Ordnance Depot (Monument 1077634) at TQ 7569 7373 to the eastern edge of Berrys Court Wood at TQ 7539 7382, and may have been constructed in order to provide an extra line of defence for the depot, as well as the ammunition stores at Lodge Hill Camp (Monument 1545549) and Chattenden Magazines (Monument 1481790). It may also have been associated with a defended locality (Monument 1546483) centred on the remains of the Lodge Hill First World War anti aircraft battery (Monument 1442424) which is located about 340m to the north east. A number of pillboxes forming part of the Stop Line's in depth defences are located in the immediate vicinity (Monuments 1418707, 1546582, 1418704, 1426721, 1544162).

The anti tank ditch, including the section described here, was in place by November 1940, when it was shown on a German military map based on aerial photographic evidence. The earliest aerial photographs of this part of the ditch available to the Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project were taken in May 1944, by which time this section had been decommissioned and backfilled and appeared only as a very shallow depression at the centre of an area of cleared ground. (1-4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR US/7GR/LOC348 3062 27-MAY-1944
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR RAF/CPE/UK/1923 4083-4 16-JAN-1947
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR 26973_006 01-JUN-2011
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Beaches, fields, streets and hills: the anti-invasion landscape of England, 1940
Source details : Foot, W.
Page(s) : 408
Figs. : 219
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 77 SE 278
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1418704
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1442424
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1481790
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1548381
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1546483
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1418707
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1542687
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1546582
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1546596
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1426721
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1077634
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1545549
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1546783
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1544162
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: HOO PENINSULA LANDSCAPE PROJECT NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2010-09-01
End Date : 2012-03-01