HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 662267

Hob Uid: 662267
Location :
Greater London Authority
Greenwich
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3920777451
Summary : Access point on One Tree Hill to the system of underground tunnels or conduits, constructed of brick probably in the late 17th/early 18th century, to carry water north towards the Royal Hospital for Seamen (now the National Maritime Museum).
More information : TQ 3921 7745: conduit system.

Recorded during the RCHME Greenwich Park Survey, Sep-1993 to Feb-1994.

A system of underground tunnels, constructed of brick probably in the late 17th/early 18th century, to carry water north towards the Royal Hospital for Seamen (now the National Maritime Museum).

This conduit system consists of a main passage and a number of branch tunnels. The main passage runs north-east to south-west and is entered at the north-eastern end. Near the south-western end there is a small chamber from which a branch tunnel runs northwards. Two other branch tunnels run southwards from the main passage, one from the north-eastern end and another near the small chamber.

These conduits served to gather surplus groundwater from the gravel subsoil, which acted as a natural aquifer, and funnelled it towards a single collecting point. The surviving tunnels comprise the upper end of this dendritic drainage system; the main passage was fed by the two branch tunnels joining on the southern, uphill side. In turn, the main passage channelled water from either end towards the small collecting chamber in the centre of the system. From here, the water ran north-westwards down the third tunnel which served as the 'stem'. This tunnel has been blocked by roof collapses, but originally connected with a vaulted reservoir at TQ 3906 7744.

A fully referenced description is contained in the archive.

See location plan at 1:1000 scale archived under record TQ 37 NE 69 (UID 610590) (1)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : P Struth: RCHME: ROYAL PARKS PROJECT: Greenwich Park Survey Sep-93 to Feb-94
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Greenwich Park, sheet TQ 3977 SW/ink survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Greenwich Park: an archaeological survey. Detailed reports for the NMR
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Greenwich Park, sheet TQ 3977 SW/pencil survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Greenwich Park: an archaeological survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Conduit
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 22716
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 37 NE 90
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 404360
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 662264
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 662262
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 662265
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :