HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 464443

Hob Uid: 464443
Location :
Kent
Canterbury
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TR1512057880
Summary : Excavations just south of St Gabriel's Chapel were carried out between 1978 and 1980. First century features were revealed and these included a number of small quarries almost certainly clay quarries. A small Roman street was also found laid out across the site with an orientation running north east to south west. A building had been constructed respecting the road but overlying it somewhat probably in the mid 3rd century. This has been interpreted as a Roman temple. After a short period of time this building was abandoned and robbed. During the 11th century a charnel pit was dug for the reburial of skeletons. This was later disturbed by the construction of Lanfranc's cathedral soon after 1070. The foundations of St Gabriel's Chapel were also found. Between the 12th and 15th centuries the area appears to have used as an inhumation cemetery and a boundary wall was revealed which is thought to have seperated the Monks cemetery from the lay cemetery. A drain of circa 1500 was also found extending over the site which is still in use to this day. Post-Medieval features include pits associated with the later restoration of the Cathedral.
More information : A number of small trenches were excavated immediately south of St
Gabriel's Chapel (TR 15155789 sited from plan authority 1) by CAT
between 1978-80. The earliest features which covered almost the
whole area excavated consisted of intercutting pits, probably clay
quarries dating to the 1st and 2nd centuries. During the late 2nd/
early 3rd century a minor Roman street or cobbled track, running
approximately immediately NE-SW, was laid across the site. By the
early to mid 3rd century the track had gone out of use and a Roman
building, possibly a temple, was constructed over its west side.
This structure had at least 3 rooms, all with tessellated floors,
one of which contained a mosaic panel. To the east of the structure,
remnants of a courtyard were excavated. Finds included a bronze
Silvus head and a hand-moulded figurine. Cutting across the Roman
mosaic was a massive east-west wall foundation, which proved to be
earlier than the foundations of the present Cathedral Choir of 1096,
and therefore may relate to Lanfranc's early Norman Cathedral or the
Anglo-Saxon Cathedral.

A charnel pit containing redeposited human bones was found cut by
the still extant late 11th century foundations, This pit almost
certainly contains Saxon burials disturbed and reinterred during the
c1096 building work. From the 12th to the 15th centuries the whole
area was used as the Cathedral Cemetery, monks being buried to the
east of St Gabriel's Chapel and lay persons to the west. These two
graveyards were separated by a wall running south from the chapel
(demolished c1850) the foundations of which were also discovered
along with eighteen burials belonging to the cemetery itself. These
were overlain by a brick drain of c1500 which is still in use. (1-7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : 1984 plan (T Tatton-Brown)
Page(s) : 178
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 100
Source Number : 2
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : 1978 (T Tatton-Brown)
Page(s) : 278
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 94
Source Number : 3
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : 1979 (T Tatton-Brown)
Page(s) : 278
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 95
Source Number : 4
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : 1980 (T Tatton-Brown)
Page(s) : 396-397
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 96
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : CAT Ann Rep 1979-80 18-20 (J Rady)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Britannia : a journal of Romano-British and kindred studies
Source details : 1980 (FO Grew)
Page(s) : 401
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 11
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : CBA Res Rep 47 The Church in Br Arch 1983 97 (J Roxan and R Morris)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Excavations in the Cathedral precincts, 2 : Linacre Garden, 'Meister Omers', and St Gabriel's Chapel
Source details :
Page(s) : 80-81
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Vol.4

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Late 2nd/early 3rd centuries
Monument End Date : 232
Monument Start Date : 167
Monument Type : Road
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Early to mid 3rd century
Monument End Date : 266
Monument Start Date : 200
Monument Type : Temple
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : 1st and 2nd centuries
Monument End Date : 199
Monument Start Date : 43
Monument Type : Clay Pit
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : 11th century
Monument End Date : 1070
Monument Start Date : 1000
Monument Type : Charnel Pit
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 12th to 15th centuries
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Inhumation Cemetery
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Circa 1500
Monument End Date : 1520
Monument Start Date : 1480
Monument Type : Drain
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : After 1540
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Pit
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : KE 281
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : KE 335
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TR 15 NE 101
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :