HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Simpsons

Hob Uid: 1354820
Location :
Greater London Authority
City Of Westminster
Grid Ref : TQ2946080543
Summary : Simpson's was erected in 1936 for Alexander Simpson. Simpson had joined the family tailoring business and in 1932 introduced a new type of trouser, given the tradename DAKS. The new store on Piccadilly was built as an outlet for this successful product. Simpson's was the first Modern building to be built on Piccadilly and it was designed by the architect, Joseph Emberton. The building has a steel frame and has Fletton brick cladding which is covered in white glazed tiles and Portland stone on the main facades. A cantilevered 'glascrete' canopy at the top of the facade was designed with several functions, one of which was to keep the Portland stone clean. The facade contains concealed lights which can illuminate the building in almost any colour and the non-reflective windows installed on the ground floor were another innovative feature and they are still in place today. The store has six floors and also a lower ground floor, a basement and roof-top service rooms. The sales area has always occupied seven floors. Simpson's originally catered solely for men, but today the store is a cross between a traditional men's outfitters and a department store. Much of the internal layout is unchanged since the 1930s. The store closed in 1999 and reopened in 2000 as a Waterstones bookstore.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : London's Shops The World's Emporium
Source details :
Page(s) : 36; 77-79
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1936
Monument End Date : 1936
Monument Start Date : 1936
Monument Type : Metal Framed Building, Shop
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 101749
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 1226639
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 28 SE 553
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1458535
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : ENGLISH HERITAGE : SHOPS PROJECT
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1998-08-01
End Date : 2002-07-01