HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Marys Church

Hob Uid: 915585
Location :
East Riding of Yorkshire
Bridlington
Grid Ref : TA1770167984
Summary : Built circa 1113; the present parish church comprises the nave and portions of the North-West and South-West towers of the Priory church. Mainly 14th and 15th centuries, restored in 1846-79 by Gilbert Scott.
More information : [TA 177067980] St Mary's Church [TU] (1)

One church is recorded in the Domesday survey, at Bridlington. (2)

Bridlington Priory Church "The nave, the only surviving part of the
church, was probably always parochial and is a building of ten bays
with triforium and clearstorey and two western towers of which the
southern one has been carried up to some height in modern times." (3)

The south wall retain traces of its Norman character. (4)

There is evidence that a Saxon church was to be found here in 1042,
and later a Norman church was erected,...Some Norman stonework can
still be seen at the NW corner of the exterior. (5)

The east end of the existing building is terminated by a modern wall
on line with the former N. and S. transepts. This line is
represented externally by the remains of a buttress on the N. side,
and a modern indication of the transept wall on the S. side. No
other remains of the transepts, quire or presbytery now exist. The
only visible remains of the former domestic buildings to the Priory
appear on the external wall of the S. aisle. (6)

Parish Church of St Mary. Founded c1113, only the nave and portions
of the towers remain of the Priory church. Chiefly 14th and 15th
century, restores in 1846-79. Grade A. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1926-38
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Yorkshire archaeological journal
Source details : R H Skaife
Page(s) : 332
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 13, 1894-5
Source Number : 3
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : Sir A Clapham
Page(s) : 83
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 105, 1950
Source Number : 4
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : W H St John Hope
Page(s) : 293
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 52, 1895
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Lamb J W (Rector) undated A Guide to Bridlington Priory p8
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 E C Waight 15-JUN-60
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) District of North Wolds Jan-1976 35
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1537
Monument Start Date : 1113
Monument Type : Church, Priory
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Mainly C14-15
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1301
Monument Type : Church, Priory
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored
Monument End Date : 1879
Monument Start Date : 1846
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 166161
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1346530
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 16 NE 111
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :