HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 27576

Hob Uid: 27576
Location :
Redcar and Cleveland
Guisborough
Grid Ref : NZ5700015000
Summary : A 12th century Leper Hospital existed at Hutton until 1218-1234, when it was moved to Lowcross.
More information : The Hospital of St. Leonard, Lowcross; formerly at Hutton (see NZ 51 SE 23) was removed from Hutton to a site on the boundary between Barnaby and Hutton Lowcross, (see NZ51NE23). The names 'Barnaby range' (NA 5791 59) and 'Lowcross Farm' (NZ 585154) appear on the OS 6". Moved there between 1218-34, the new hospital receiving most of the lands from Upsall Hospital (See NZ 51 NE 14). (1-2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : VCH Yorks 3 1913 314
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : MRH England and Wales 1971 326 375 (D Knowles and Hadcock)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extantin C12 until c.1234
Monument End Date : 1234
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Leper Hospital
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NZ 51 NE 29
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 27694
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :