HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The New Armouries

Hob Uid: 1106053
Location :
Greater London Authority
Tower Hamlets
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3368080520
Summary : The New Armouries building at the Tower of London was built in 1663-4 as a store to accommodate arms previously held at the White Tower. It stands against the rear of the curtain wall between the Broad Arrow and Salt Towers. It is of red brick and comprises 2 floors and an attic in a U-shaped plan. It is now used as a museum and offices and is the only surviving Ordnance store at the Tower and probably the oldest surviving Ordnance building in the country.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE Greater London, Stepney
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : English Heritage book of the Tower of London
Source details :
Page(s) : 64-66, 69-70
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1663-4
Monument End Date : 1664
Monument Start Date : 1663
Monument Type : Armoury
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Current use
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Museum, Office
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 38 SW 1542
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, TOWER OF LONDON, IRISH BARRACKS AND NEW ARMOURIES
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1999-01-01
End Date : 2000-12-31